• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jury-rigging a Fuel Pressure Gague - risky idea?

Nixt

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I'm troubleshooting a problem w/ the heep, and need to see the fuel pressure at the injector rail WHILE I'M DRIVING IT. My pressure gague has a 16" connector hose on it for hooking up to the fuel rail, so I can't be driving and monitoring the pressure at the same time...

My idea:
1- Remove the actual gague from my fuel pressure gague assembly (the assembly is a gague, a hose for bleeding, and a hose w/ connector to rail on a brass 'T')
2- Get a length of fuel hose, put 1/4" fittings on the ends (1 male 1 female)
3 - Install hose between assembly 'T' and the gague.
4 - Connect the orig. assembly to the fuel rail, and feed the extended gague through the seam @ hood
5 - Duct tape the gague in place so i can see it, and zip-tie the assembly in place so it's not touching hot parts.

My question(s):
1. Is this safe?
2. Will it be accurate?

pressure is pressure, so it won't affect the readings.
Make sure you get fuel injected rated fuel line, the average stuff might blow at the high pressures.
This is common for people to do at the drags when they're tuning a car, to make sure they've got enough pump for the motor. With some proper planning and execution it would be safe enough to take for a test drive.
I wouldn't make it an everyday thing.
and make sure you've got a fire extinguisher, just in case.

If you can, tape the gauge to the side view mirror. I've done that with a vacuum gauge, and it makes for easy reading without obscuring the view.

I've thought of doing this as well, but as it happens, the problem I was trying to track turned out to be something else. As long as it doesn't leak fuel, it should work fine.

Back