• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone wanting to do a (or a few) trail(s) this weekend (7-28/29/30) in Big bear

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
I will be camping with the family at Serrano this weekend the 28th thru the 30th and will have a buddy with a nice TJ also camping with us. We are going to be doing some trails and thought I would see if anyone is coming up to Big Bear this weekend, or wants to and we can have a small group of it.

We are hoping on Sat to hit Gold mountain, over to John Bull, then hit miner days in the afternoon with the kids, then go back around 3-4ish to hit dishpan and or deep creek and maybe holcolm in there. Its been over a year since I was up there, and we are hoping to get as much in as poss.

If we dont get to hit miner days in town then thats fine. We are just hoping to get some wheeling in, in semi cool and maybe wet weather.

I would say if you could make it that the morning would be best time to head over to the trails. So hoping to leave Serrano and get to gold mountain around 9-10ish. If anyone is interested let me know, right now its only my XJ and my buds TJ. I will say we are not very shy of rock so if your not comfortable with something like John Bull then maybe this isnt for you I would think at least a 32 tire and one locker would be best but if you dont care then we dont. We have a winch and a few straps.

Also going to be doing night runs both fri night and sat night. So if interested in that, let me know, I would guess 7PM till ?. That is of course if nada is torn off or busted by then. We have a smaller camp site but all is welcome to come back and hang out also, afterwards.

And I think I have to state this is not an official NAXJA run. And that its run what ya brung. I dont care if you have a spare or not or a jack, ect. But if you end up having to need what you dont have, your welcome to what we have, or we can help ya limp it back..

Hope to find a few others to join along.

Wow not one person is up for a Big bear trail in the So cal boards? Umm, maybe its just me, I will shower and not fling poo, I swear.....

I would love to go, but I can not make it this weekend. I was there last weekend and it was great. I know there are a couple of axle swap parties going on this weekend and alot of folks will be at those. Others are probably working on their own junk.

I will be planning run in Big Bear in early Sept. August is boooked for me.

Ya'll have fun up there!

BTW - Deep Creek and Dishpan Springs is the same trail, just different names.

Last week there were a ton of motorcycles on the trails.

saki669 said:
I'll be there friday/sat. A night run would be a blast friday. I can do anything you can do.... better...... :lickout:

That would be cool. Fri night I am Sure were up for a night run. What time were you thinking? We should be set up and done with dinner by like 8, so anytime after that? Your welcome to give us a call, 714-875-2414 Rob. Oh and I try not to make it a habit to let me mouth write checks that maybe my rig cant cash.. :anon: :wierd:

I'm in. I'm unsure if ill be leaving fri or sa+erday (keyboard broke). Ill call +ha+ cell you lef+. I've been on gold moun+ain and +he bull before so I'm familiar wi+h +hose. I migh+ have a buddy comin he's unlocked on 33s in a cherokee. He has done bo+h of +hose +rails as well. I'm locked f&r on 36 SXs. You run hearbreak ridge before +ha+ is ano+her decen+ +rail up +here. My cell is 909 9 one 0 7 eigh+ 4 9.

Wow my keyboard is messed up.

xXJx said:
I'm in. I'm unsure if ill be leaving fri or sa+erday (keyboard broke). Ill call +ha+ cell you lef+. I've been on gold moun+ain and +he bull before so I'm familiar wi+h +hose. I migh+ have a buddy comin he's unlocked on 33s in a cherokee. He has done bo+h of +hose +rails as well. I'm locked f&r on 36 SXs. You run hearbreak ridge before +ha+ is ano+her decen+ +rail up +here. My cell is 909 9 one 0 7 eigh+ 4 9.

Wow my keyboard is messed up.

What the hell?

Well we ended up on John Bull (again)m but I let a buddy drive the tough stuff so it was like a whole new trail. Didnt see a soul up there. We also ran holcolmb creek. There were a couple of cherokees running with us. It was fun. Only damage was a scraped up front driveshaft. I'll have to replace the grease collar on it. Sorry I didnt call. I left friday AM to get up there.

We ran gold moun+ain and holcomb from 930 +o abou+ 3 am. Lol good +imes +hanks rob and clin+.

Well it turned in to a intersting and great night run... Ben, and a buddy of his (forgot his name) drove over from 29 palms I think it was. After waiting for ever and wondering if they would show, we met them up at the begining of gold mountain about 8:45pm. Well after Ben went to get gas we departed at around 9ish.

It was a pretty long run, as we never really stopped on gold mountain except to take a alternate route in the middle rock garden, then we were off, moving good again.

The the trails over to Holcolm took us like a hour, putting us to holcolm around 12 I would guess. We were moving along pretty good there also, untill the rock garden and I decided that since my buddy clint said he has only ever seen a YJ on like 40's make it through a certain line, that hey I can do it. Yeah right.

I ended up getting further then I thought I would have once looking at where I ended up. But high centered and with the gas tank skid and the rear diff both also on a second flat bolder. I was done moving on my own. So We all ended up stacking rocks,and that had no effect. Then the high lift with stacking under the tires, that had no effect.

But in the hast of stacking rocks, I pulled the bone headed move of smashing my pinky between two larger rocks, and had to wrap it in napkins and tape.

After using the winch to pull me about 4 inched to the side, I popped up over the bolders and we were off again. We originally thought we would just go to this garden and then turn around and go back. We didnt want to have to drive all the way back from green valley, but the one XJ was on 33's, rubbing some, and not locked either end. So he was kinda leary about going back through that garden, so we went on through holcolm to the end.

All said and done we ended up at the deer creek car wash about 4:30 to air up and for me to tighten up the F'ed up rusty's steering I had.

Well the best part for me was that when I got back to camp I was forced over to the emergancy room in BB becuase my finger was really fubared, badly.

That place is a JOKE!

Anyways great run and always nice to meet new people. I will post pictures later when I get them.

Ben did you get any?

ROBERTK said:
Well it turned in to a intersting and great night run... Ben, and a buddy of his (forgot his name) drove over from 29 palms I think it was. After waiting for ever and wondering if they would show, we met them up at the begining of gold mountain about 8:45pm. Well after Ben went to get gas we departed at around 9ish.

It was a pretty long run, as we never really stopped on gold mountain except to take a alternate route in the middle rock garden, then we were off, moving good again.

The the trails over to Holcolm took us like a hour, putting us to holcolm around 12 I would guess. We were moving along pretty good there also, untill the rock garden and I decided that since my buddy clint said he has only ever seen a YJ on like 40's make it through a certain line, that hey I can do it. Yeah right.

I ended up getting further then I thought I would have once looking at where I ended up. But high centered and with the gas tank skid and the rear diff both also on a second flat bolder. I was done moving on my own. So We all ended up stacking rocks,and that had no effect. Then the high lift with stacking under the tires, that had no effect.

But in the hast of stacking rocks, I pulled the bone headed move of smashing my pinky between two larger rocks, and had to wrap it in napkins and tape.

After using the winch to pull me about 4 inched to the side, I popped up over the bolders and we were off again. We originally thought we would just go to this garden and then turn around and go back. We didnt want to have to drive all the way back from green valley, but the one XJ was on 33's, rubbing some, and not locked either end. So he was kinda leary about going back through that garden, so we went on through holcolm to the end.

All said and done we ended up at the deer creek car wash about 4:30 to air up and for me to tighten up the F'ed up rusty's steering I had.

Well the best part for me was that when I got back to camp I was forced over to the emergancy room in BB becuase my finger was really fubared, badly.

That place is a JOKE!

Anyways great run and always nice to meet new people. I will post pictures later when I get them.

Ben did you get any?

I don't have any pics, I forgot my camera and my phone didn't really surfice, good times, post up those pics! We should have got a few from that rock that you tried, how's the finger doin lets se a pic of that! Me and tim ran to johnson valley on the way home and couldn't find the trails! I wanna run clawhammer soon, its been pretty cool out here in 29 palms so jv shouldn't be too unbearable. Did you guys run anything else on sat or sunday? I think were running back this weekend, I wanna string gold mountain to john bull to holcomb to dishpan and camp then run all the way back to heartbreak ridge and pontiac sluice and back home to 29 palms.

Lets see those pics!

well here are the few pictures that were taken... I would have posted them sooner but Clint is slow to do anything like upload his pictures...

BenArticu.jpg

Mearticu.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010005.jpg

got any wheeling pics? (non-poser flex shots) :D :D

XJ_ranger said:
got any wheeling pics? (non-poser flex shots) :D :D

nope just the few from the parking lot at the local Big bear Kmart as you see... :D

we were moving too fast and it was way to dark to take anything without planning....

Back