• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird sounds when in 4 wheel drive.

loke

NAXJA Forum User
As soon as I put my XJ in 4x4 it starts making a ratcheting sound. It is louder when I am going uphill then when I am going downhill and this leads me to think it is the front drive shaft causing the noise.
I checked under the Jeep and I can see a wear mark on the shaft just were it exits the transfer case.
My XJ is an 85, NP 207, 3" lift. I am assuming the drive shaft is the CV joint type (my knowledge in that area is extremely limited).

Does anyone have any idea if my guess it's correct (worn out joint)? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the chain in your t case is stretched.

I had the same thing on an '85. Sounds like your front driveshaft angle is maxed out. Those old XJ's with the 207 case used a cv joint on the t-case side of the driveshaft. They are pretty similar to a front wheel drive's cv shaft. Your best bet is to find an early model 4 cylinder XJ with a 231 t-case, but be sure to get one with the same style transmission you've got (auto vs. manual). Get the front output yoke from the t-case and front driveshaft from that vehicle. It will be a bolt-in replacement for the stuff you currently have, plus it will be stronger, and allow for much more angularity than your current setup.

Thanks Mike, you are confirming my thoughts about this. I guess it's time to go hunting on the junk yards.

:)

if it turns out to not be the front DS, check the disconnect on the axle too. perhaps its not engaging fully which is common

djblade311 said:
if it turns out to not be the front DS, check the disconnect on the axle too. perhaps its not engaging fully which is common

That was my initial thought a few weeks back, but I when I installed an Aussie locker in the front I had that apart it all looked good in that area. I do appreciate the input though.

:)

I looked a little closer under the Jeep and saw that I have a nice line of lubricant on the chassis. This is coming from were the drive shaft exist the t-case and I guess it's even more indication that the joint is going/gone.

Does anyone know the different lenghts of the drive shafts depending on transmission/t-case/engine?

If yours is a 2.8 V-6 or the four cylinder, the driveshaft from a later model four cylinder should work fine. I do believe that the lengths are a little different between the auto vs. manual transmission, but don't quote me on that.....

I finally got under the Jeep to find out what was wrong. I changed the fluid in the transfer case (it was full and the fluid looked good).
On the front drive shaft there is (supposed) to be a rubber boot on the t-case end but this has disintegrated in to a few flapping pieces of rubber.
I assume that no grease and the addition of what ever has entered is what is causing the sounds.

I don't know if the rubber piece is replaceable or I need to change the whole drive shaft (I am also concerned what kind of damage the joint has sustained).

I tried replacing my boot with one of those universal split type CV boots. It lasted all of about 50 feet before it came apart. The driveshaft's angle was too great for it to work properly. My advise is the same as before. Swap it out with a double cardon shaft and yoke and you'll be rid of the problems forever.

I had the same thing happen to me this week while on vacation in the Rockies... I was pulling my Tent trailer in 4WD and this unpleasant vibration and freaky sound started on me, turns out it was the CV joint on the front drive shaft that gave way. 5/16th wrench out and drive shaft out, back on the road in 20 minutes. Now I'm home and I have to get this thing fixed... $$$$

Phil

Back