• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nippy A/C

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
It's amazing what a fresh vacuum and refill will do:

Note: It was 94 F. outside when this was taken.

ColdAC.JPG

RTicUL8 said:
It's amazing what a fresh vacuum and refill will do
Dang dude,that's awesome, I'm pretty sure my 99 doesn't get that cold. Why did you have a vacuum pulled anyway? Just to see if you could get better performance?

RenixPower said:
Dang dude,that's awesome, I'm pretty sure my 99 doesn't get that cold. Why did you have a vacuum pulled anyway? Just to see if you could get better performance?

Exactly!
Rather that just topping it off, I thought I might get better performance with a fresh start.
Note: It's a '00 with 74K miles.

Before doing this it would only get down to about 37 F.

RTicUL8 said:
Exactly!
Rather that just topping it off, I thought I might get better performance with a fresh start.
Note: It's a '00 with 74K miles.

Before doing this it would only get down to about 37 F.

Nice! I may have to give that a shot also.

Check to make sure your evaporator isn't freezing up...that's too cold. I'd bet you're almost pulling a vaccuum (not good), and something isn't right with your low-pressure cut off switch. That said, I wish my a/c got down to 14 deg....it's supposed to be 98 here today:laugh3:

Jeff

edit: just check the pressure charts....14 deg coil temp corresponds to 13 PSIG suction pressure....and low pressure cutout should be around 28-32 pounds (which prevents the coil from icing over). While enjoyable, you might wanna get that checked out.

Last edited:
Blow it out your shorts :D :D :D, maybe when I can get my evap done I won't be sweating my nads off anymore. Main reason I want to use the TJ so much and get the top off. At the rate I'm going money wise that will probably be in Oct or Nov..

thats kool but i agree w/ jeff in va theres no way its supposed to get that cold your old reading of 37 is normal below that it will frost and the airflow will decrease as the coil ges clogged probably will start dripping condensation on the floor as it thaws check your low press switch or did you bypass it when you charged it

Mine used to blow "cool" even though the level and everything was good. Tinting my windows (had zero tint from factory) made a BIG difference in the performance of my a/c. Gotta remember theres a lot of greenhouse going on with the XJ. And if yours is like mine, with a dark color paint and the dark interior, that certainly doesn't help things in the summer...as they tend to get freakin hot sitting in the sun.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Mine used to blow "cool" even though the level and everything was good. Tinting my windows (had zero tint from factory) made a BIG difference in the performance of my a/c. Gotta remember theres a lot of greenhouse going on with the XJ. And if yours is like mine, with a dark color paint and the dark interior, that certainly doesn't help things in the summer...as they tend to get freakin hot sitting in the sun.

I left my XJ parked at the train station in the open, plastic coffee cup with cold coffee in the console, nose of the XJ pointed west at 5am. Got back to the train station at 5pm, opened the doors to let it cool off and the coffee was hotter than when I put it in the microwave for 90 seconds on hi... Just started parking under the trees yesterday so now I can at least touch the steering wheel.

RichP said:
I left my XJ parked at the train station in the open, plastic coffee cup with cold coffee in the console, nose of the XJ pointed west at 5am. Got back to the train station at 5pm, opened the doors to let it cool off and the coffee was hotter than when I put it in the microwave for 90 seconds on hi... Just started parking under the trees yesterday so now I can at least touch the steering wheel.

Bird poop is bad for your paint too.

Back