• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attn: Big Block XJ-ers!

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
I know there's at least ONE of you - have you documented your project? I've got an idea that I'd like to start tossing around, and I see no reason to reinvent the wheel (no, it won't be a BBChevvy - that's been done. I'm shooting for some REAL uniqueness points!)

5-90

I put one of these in a '66 Impala.

A bit off-topic, I apologize, but it will get you your "REAL uniqueness points" if you wedge that thing into an XJ :)

Someone has already put a Viper V10 into a TJ, why not try to shoe horn one into an XJ? It would definitely be unique! :eek:

If you want unique, design and build your own motor. You'd get serious points in my book then :D An Allison motor comes to mind as a good candidate too. Goatman's brother was yappin' at me about this in Moab last year.

Well if you want something unique, than a Pontiac Tri-Powered 389 would do the trick. We have one in my father in-laws 65' GTO. You talk about power!
But I'm guessing your not to worried about the smog laws and all of that.
Another idea would be a 427 Tri-Power from a Vette. Again power. But who knows if these two would fit or if the unibody frame could handle it. But you could be the first one. Just and idea. Juice

Try to cram a Pontiac 6.7 into an XJ, if you are not worried about 6-7 miles per gallon.

I'd not go with a Wankel because I seem to recall they make power in the wrong place (need to rev them too damn high...)

The Viper V10 in the TJ manages to beat me to it, tho - Hemi it is! Now, should I go with a 426 or 472? The 500+ is Aluminum over Iron, which I won't do in a truck... Perhaps start with the Keith Black Aluminum block AND heads?

5-90

All I want to know is where the hell you been 5-90. Adn its good to see you back!

You could spend $8-9K on a BBC or SBC and all associated driveline, exhaust, controls and chassis mods. Or you can spend $1500 on a stroker and get 270HP and 340#/ft.

I know, you are just dreaming and I don't wanna be a buzzkill. I still think the best bang for buck is a stroker with an intake and exhaust. Actually for wheeling, a stock exhaust is better for torque.

SeanP

Who has a stroker kit for $1500? AP wants ~$5K. DIY, maybe if you steel half or most of your parts. Crank, rods, pistons (which were a waste becouse I need custom) cam, lifters and retainers with matching springs, new valves and a head gasket and I am at $2K, that does not include injectors, intake, exhaust (well I have gotten headers) oil and water pump (HD/high flo) upgrading the cooling system, electrical crap and yet to put it together. Should come out to the same price as a complete stroker motor from AP.

Ohh, and the trubo that is getting put in. Have that, but need plumbing!

5-90 said:
I know there's at least ONE of you - have you documented your project? I've got an idea that I'd like to start tossing around, and I see no reason to reinvent the wheel (no, it won't be a BBChevvy - that's been done. I'm shooting for some REAL uniqueness points!)
5-90

man you got just way to much time on your hands:rolleyes:
lol, I wish I was in your shoes

robs said:
Whoa!!!

Well... my guess would be robbin banks since he's considering a Keith Black based Hemi!!!

LOL that's what I was thinking!

In any case, welcome back Jon

i believe the hemi is going to be too wide to fit. me and one of my buddies have tossed this idea around.. it would be easier to throw a 454 in there... i just dont see how you'd fit a hemi in there. me personally, i would love to see an xj with a supercharged 383 stroker in it. mayke even some juice too.... i wanna see an all wheel burnout up slickrock from an xj on 37s + ..... :D

You would need to duck and cover for that! Pieces woudl be flying every where.

Back