• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible easier access to the CPS...?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1
I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I haven't seen reference to this before:

On my 96, there's two bolts holding on the shifter cable brace. It looks like if this brace is removed and placed to the side, the area around the CPS will be opened up enough to easily access and change the CPS.

Looks like 2 minutes to remove the brace would make this job a lot easier.
Anyone tried this before.....?

ROE
:wave:

Can't visualize what you are referring to, but even if you remove the bracket, the cable will probably be hard to move out of the way unless you completely disconnect it. Unless you have short arms and ham fists, you should be able to drop the front driveshaft and reach the CPS bolts with a small (or stubby) wrench. That's 4 or 8 bolts instead of 2, but not too difficult.

lilredwagn said:
Can't visualize what you are referring to, but even if you remove the bracket, the cable will probably be hard to move out of the way unless you completely disconnect it. Unless you have short arms and ham fists, you should be able to drop the front driveshaft and reach the CPS bolts with a small (or stubby) wrench. That's 4 or 8 bolts instead of 2, but not too difficult.
Yep Lilredwagn, you're right, dropping the driveshaft will also gain enough clearance to reach the CPS. I'll do that if the shift cable bracket proves too difficult to remove. There's plenty of room up near the CPS on my 96, just need access to get my arm up there.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
There's plenty of room up near the CPS on my 96, just need an extra elbow between my wrist and the currrent elbow to get my arm up there.
Fixed it for ya. :D

I did realize though that when you drop the tranny crossmember (in prep to replace the tranny) that you have enough room to actually reach the CPS.

cps_2.jpg

That's the view from the rear...pretty much the best place I've been able to find for a one-man removal and reinstall. Even with two people, someone's pretty much guaranteed to have to reach up this way anyhow.

Back