• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baffled...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Was tinkering with an old SONY Cassette Detachable Face Radio...

I used one of the JEEP's Factory Door Speaker (that was lying around since I upgraded all my speakers) attached to one of the front channels (white and wt/blk) on the above Radio.

Sound could then be heard from the Radio and I then cranked the volume, it distorted a little and then went dead no sound at all. Plus, the JEEP Speaker was very warm.

Then I tried one of the rear leads (green and gn/blk) and no sound either.

I even tried another speaker from an old boom box and still no sound.

***What baffles me is this unit was used properly with a working 4 ohm speaker so how could it just blow like that?

Thx.

What's even more baffling is that I just tried the "blown" Jeep speaker and boom box speaker on my home stereo and they both work perfectly.

Maybe the Internal Amp in the Head Unit blew?

Thx.

did the pigtail have raw wires sticking out the back. maybe it shorted some of the other wires while you were messing with it.

cklaus said:
did the pigtail have raw wires sticking out the back. maybe it shorted some of the other wires while you were messing with it.

Nope, all of the leads were carefully spaced apart and insulated with electrical tape.

The Speaker played fine then distorted (when I increased the vol to max) then went dead and the steel around the Speaker Cone became very warm.

Whereas the back of the Head Unit (where the amp is) remained the same and didn't get warm.

Odd Indeed.

Thx.

Back