• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 swap

hot1le

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. I was wondering if a chevy 4.3 v6 or a 350 chevy will bolt in place of the 2.8. Isnt the bell housing the same? Oh its an automatic if that matters.

not a chevy guy, but I do know that the 2.8 is the same set up as all 60 degree gm v6's (3.1 and 3.4) but the 3.8 and 4.3 are different from the 60 degrees, I believe. I know that the bell housing of the 4.3 and SB V8's are the same. However the blocks of the 60 degree setups are smaller therefore the bellhousing should be different.

No, won't bolt up....4.3 is a 90 degree motor, same as a v-8....there are a ton of gm engines that will to one degree or another "bolt" to your bellhousing. some are far better suited than others. The best choice for ease of swap and lovest cost is a 3.4 as from a camaro.

..."I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. I was wondering if a chevy 4.3 v6 or a 350 chevy will bolt in place of the 2.8 -?"
....Search and search again in the NAXJA archives useing terms like "Chevy 350 engine swap"-If you had searched you would have found that this topic and subject comes up almost on a daily basis-Good luck
I also had an older blown up tired-out Jeep XJ 2.8 liter engine and elected to go the Chevy 4.3 route.... but,....... what the heck ..if you're going though the effort and expense of the Chevy 4.3 liter ..it is about the same as going on upwards to the Chevy 5.7 liter blocks for about triple the horsepower increase from the older Jeep XJ 2.5 liter or XJ 2.8 liter engine blocks-
HTH
bxj

1984 XJ 2.8 liter engine-rebuilt,blown(..free..)
1995 Chevrolet 350 V-8 LT1 5.7 liter (carbureted ) ($800.00 crate engine)+ Chev
700R-4 trans($200.00) with ye ole Ford Bronco Dana 20 transfer case($200.00) with 1996 Ford 8.8 rear axle($500.00)
Advanced Adapter(Paso Robles, Ca) motor mounts and Chev 700R-4 transmission to Ford Dana 20 transfer case adapter-Wild Horse's(Stockton, Ca) Ford Bronco Dana 20 Extreme Duty 32-spline output kit-Rusty's 3-inch lift kit also various inexpensive miscellaneous local boneyard parts- 1973 exhaust manifold, newer/used 1994 engine hood+spring fittings,1996 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee brake booster and proportioning spring-

....."Not alot of Jeep left on yours, is there BXJ?.........." Cincinnasty" ?...eh...
.....Joshua...
Bite me...... hope you're not trying to take eh little" cheap shot" at me. here at the NAXJA Modification forum-".-wistful are we .? nostaglic for the good ole days when XJ's were simple and straightforward?- You do know that "our XJ's are still being produced in China don't you ?-In your personal opinion what errr....constitutes or defines a "real Jeep"-When or at point in the modification process does the Jeep XJ becomes that something "other"-Is it the addition of long-arms, Ford 8.8 rear-end or the removal of 2.8 liter engine ?-This is not the OEM forum the poster came here to the Modification Forum looking for help/advice. he said (quote)....."I searched and couldnt find what I was looking for. I was wondering if a chevy 4.3 v6 or a 350 chevy will bolt in place of the 2.8.".......again looking for HELP. which you did not bother to furnish but chose to make a " small albeit personal criticism or comment about me"-I want to cordially remind you this space is and should be a forum where people can come and hopefully find answers about their XJ's-
bxj

Back