• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-Rings vs Tow hooks

Ukraine Train

NAXJA Forum User
I'm designing up a new front bumper and can't decide if I want to set it up for tow hooks or make tabs for D-rings. Seems like every aftermarket bumper has D-rings but hooks seem to be better suited for extraction since most tow straps have a loop on the end that you can just throw over the hook instead of having to unscrew the bolt from a D-ring, slip the strap through, and then reassemble the D-ring. What do y'all think?

Ukraine Train said:
Seems like every aftermarket bumper has D-rings ....
Thats for a reason.

Ukraine Train said:
hooks seem to be better suited for extraction since most tow straps have a loop on the end that you can just throw over the hook instead of having to unscrew the bolt from a D-ring, slip the strap through, and then reassemble the D-ring. What do y'all think?
I'd have to disagee. I'd rather take the 2mins (if that) to secure a d-ring than to 'throw the strap over' a hook (although nothing is wrong with proper towhooks). To me, the added safety is worth the time and effort for d-rings.

yeah, put some mounts for shackles on there. It sux when you're pulling with hooks and the strap comes halfway off and the tip of the hook spears the strap and frays it.

Don't have that issue with shackles.

BRIANHO13 said:
My hooks are mounted to the top of my bumper.....no falling off and no clips.

It seems that if they are on the top of your bumper they are going to create a torsion force on your bumper and its mount. Maybe its just me but that seems like it would rip the bumper off if you had to yank on it hard.:wierd:
(insert comments here)

Sounds like D-rings are the way to go then. Here's what I have so far. Gonna plot it out full size and make a model from cardboard and then get the parts laser cut if everything fits well.
bumper.jpg

VAwheeler said:
It seems that if they are on the top of your bumper they are going to create a torsion force on your bumper and its mount. Maybe its just me but that seems like it would rip the bumper off if you had to yank on it hard.:wierd:
(insert comments here)

Its a c4x4 winch bumper and has held up just fine, and I would be willing to bet it has taken as much abuse as you would be willing to throw at it. ( I have yanked the he11 out of it:D )
:cheers:

Ukraine Train said:
I'm designing up a new front bumper and can't decide if I want to set it up for tow hooks or make tabs for D-rings. Seems like every aftermarket bumper has D-rings but hooks seem to be better suited for extraction since most tow straps have a loop on the end that you can just throw over the hook instead of having to unscrew the bolt from a D-ring, slip the strap through, and then reassemble the D-ring. What do y'all think?

use both!.............:dunno:

GermanXJ said:
D-rings because you never seem to have a straight level pullhasta

I agree, the biggest beifit aside from the strap not dropping off is that the D-rings are able to take a side pull better than a cheesy hook.
Im sure there are decent hooks & brackets available but you dont often see a d-ring fail from side load.

I like d-rings, but always lose them. I had 2 on my front bumper and 2 on the rear. The lost one on each of the last two rides I have been on.

Other people don't secure them well or I forget to tighten them all the way. I break and have to fix/replace enough without buying new d-rings evry trip to the trail!

then buy d-rings that are pinned not threaded.
standard shackle / d-ring
64d7_2.JPG

pinned shackle / d-ring on the left
fhoth.jpg

well the threaded pin goes through the other side of the shackle and then a hairpin goes through it to secure the pin from falling out..

faster than threaded one
wont loosen and fall out like a threaded one
the only downfall i see is the threaded might give you a little more ultimate strength.
since the pin is in double shear it would be close....
yes i bought them at Farm and fleet.
i gave my 2 away because i kept loosing the hairpin to secure the d-ring pin, its harder to lose the threaded pin :D

Last edited:
I have tow hooks in the front, but they can get annoying, especially when the strap slips, then pokes through the strap (arrrrgggg!!!). Also unless you mount the hooks upward, the strap keep falling out. However, hooks make no noise on the road (clang, clang)

If you go clevis, and I can't see any reason not to, make the holes 1" to accept a 7/8" clevis bolt.

Yes, I have used a "pin" clevis, but they are not as strong as a screw clevis. The pin is "only" 3/4" and the main detractors claim the loop can spread and break the hairpin durring a side pull and make the whole mess a rocket.

Also "pin type" clevises (Clevi?) are not allowed by many clubs.

Another possibility is a "D" ring mounted directly to the bumper. The detractor there is that you then need a clevis to hook the strap on. Going directly to a clevis seems to be the best of those two options.

It really is a matter of personal taste as long as the hardpoint is a stong one and the attaching device is up to the job.

Are there any options (brackets, front hitch, etc) for putting d-rings in the front without buying a bumper aside from the xj backbone? That thing costs as much as a stripped down bumper.

you can get D-ring brackets for the front that just bolt in where the hooks would. Of course you need to have towhook brackets first, or you've got nowhere to bolt the Dring brackets.

I've got one Dring bracket on my 96XJ (that I'm going to be selling). I have two, but put one on and am happy with that. So it's got one hook, and one Dring. For quick stuff, the hook gets used, for anything serious, the Dring gets used.

The Dring brackets are from custom 4x4 I believe. Do you want one?

Jess said:
I like d-rings, but always lose them. I had 2 on my front bumper and 2 on the rear. The lost one on each of the last two rides I have been on.

Other people don't secure them well or I forget to tighten them all the way. I break and have to fix/replace enough without buying new d-rings evry trip to the trail!

just leave them off until you need them then. I have had the same d-ring for the last 3 years.

I can't remember where I've seen it, but I remeber seeing a bumper maker that had a tow point design that had you feed the strap through a d-ring before sliding it onto a post imediatly above and behind the d-ring. That allows for the quick mount of a hook, with the 360* secure pull of a d-ring. Anyone else remember this?

Back