• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soon to be lifted questions?

mundur5

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to purchase Rusty's 4.5" spring pack kit and I had a couple questions. I am thinking about running this with a .75" spacer and shackle and with RE drop brackets.

Will I need upper control arms added to this kit? Also, will I need longer shocks than what comes with the kit? I am planning on getting the Bilstein 5150's and I don't want them to be to short. Could I get the shocks long enough for a 1.75" spacer and shackle and be ok. Because I think ACOS adjustable spacers and Teraflex shackles will be in the future.

Lastly, would I be able to run without an SYE on road only until I get enough funds for it, or would that be to much stress on the yoke?

I am planning on running 4.56 gears and 33" mud tires for now.

What year (so we know how to answer your SYE question)?

If you do a Tcase drop you could get by until you can afford an SYE.

Keep in mind, even a 2" lift on the 97 and newer models can give driveline vibes. You may want to wait until you can afford an SYE, and just run a stock front driveshaft in the rear.

I have a t-case drop already. No real issues. I have 3" springs and 1.75" shackle and spacer and I am just wondering if .75" or 1.5" will make that big of a difference. I have had friends who are taller than I want to go and they don't have any real issues.

It's hard to say. The setup doesn't sound ideal, but it may work for a while. Some people have huge lifts, Tcase drop, and they're fine with their stock rear driveline, while others have serious issues with just a tiny bit of lift. The only real way to find out is to try it, unfortunately.

I'm sure you already know that ideally you want an SYE...but ofcourse it is $$. Not too much $$ though...only 200 + an extra stock front shaft!!

Let me tell you though, if/when you break a rear driveshaft or yoke or something on the trail, you'll be so much happier if you have an sye. Just unbolt the old driveshaft and bolt in an XJ front one, and wa-bam, you're all set and ready to roll.

yeah. I think I just may wait till I get all the money.

With my shocks, will it make a huge difference if I have a .75" spacer and shackle or with 1.75". The reason for this is because I am not quite sure which set up i want. I know i need to bump stop and i don't want to ruin a nice set of shocks.

You should be fine with the shocks for a 4.5" lift with an extra .75". If you go an extra 1.75", you'll probably want to change them. bar pin eliminators will add like .5 to .75" to the length of the shock....

I'd just run the 4.5" lift for a while and then worry about new shocks once you go bigger.

I've been running my 4.5" rustys full pack kit w/o a sye, tcase drop, or shims for a good 6-8 months with no real issues (its a 2001). It does have a little bit of vibes above 65 on the highway, but its honestly not too bad at all. I will be doing my SYE here in the next month or so and I'll be adding another 2" in shackles/spacers as well. My advice is to not get their adjustable control arms. They are horrible and extremely loud. Use their fixed LCA's until you decide to go LA or upgrade to RE U/LCA's. Aside from that, I've been pretty happy with the ride and performance of the lift. I run 33x12.50's and am fairly trimmed.

caz said:
I've been running my 4.5" rustys full pack kit w/o a sye, tcase drop, or shims for a good 6-8 months with no real issues (its a 2001). It does have a little bit of vibes above 65 on the highway, but its honestly not too bad at all. I will be doing my SYE here in the next month or so and I'll be adding another 2" in shackles/spacers as well. My advice is to not get their adjustable control arms. They are horrible and extremely loud. Use their fixed LCA's until you decide to go LA or upgrade to RE U/LCA's. Aside from that, I've been pretty happy with the ride and performance of the lift. I run 33x12.50's and am fairly trimmed.

Really!? Do you DD it?

I helped a guy lift an 01 2-2.5" and he had some major vibes!!

yeah i thought about long arms. but I don't have the money, it is still a DD, and I don't plan on going bigger than 33's; at least for a while (33"s are brand new).

I know people who have the set up I have w/o the RE drop brackets so I don't think I want LA's yet.

Yeah... your ride quality will significantly increase with the drop brackets, but you don't have to have them... I personally do not yet but will get them sometime in the somewhat near future. I don't quite DD my jeep as much right now, but I do drive it on a fairly regular basis. It's definitely not just a trail rig as of now. I'm about to replace my Rusty's adj LCA's with some RE LCA's... Again, thats my only real complaint about the setup.

Are you going to get adj RE arms or not?

And has anyone tried using 4wheelparts no interest payment plan that lasts for 12 months? Because if it is a good deal I might just order RE 5.5" extreme duty kit through them.

Back