• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learn from my mistake

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
So, I had never used Indian Head Gasket cement before. After numerous posts talking about using it on the t-stat housing, I thought I would use it. Seemed like it was a good idea. Never read the directions on the bottle, just went from what I gathered around here. Apparently, my thought of "tacky" and what it should have been are not the same thing. Long story short, I will be re-doing the brand new water pump gasket and t-stat housing gasket.

Man, it is a pain in the ass when you think it is all good to go and there is a fast drip of anti-freeze hitting the garage floor.:hang: :dunce:

I hear that if you buy gaskets from a dealer, you dont need any silicone or RTV or anything on them. They're pre-applied.

all you need on a new gasket is the permatex hi-tac also refered to a "Gorilla snot". put a little on to hold the gasket in place and that's it. Let the gasket do the sealing..

1999mj said:
all you need on a new gasket is the permatex hi-tac also refered to a "Gorilla snot". put a little on to hold the gasket in place and that's it. Let the gasket do the sealing..

x2...never put any sealer,silicone,rtv on a gasket. I use hi-tac or weatherstrip adhesive (or even a little dab of grease in a pinch) to hold the gasket in place.

cherokee89 said:
So, I had never used Indian Head Gasket cement before. After numerous posts talking about using it on the t-stat housing, I thought I would use it. Seemed like it was a good idea. Never read the directions on the bottle, just went from what I gathered around here. Apparently, my thought of "tacky" and what it should have been are not the same thing. Long story short, I will be re-doing the brand new water pump gasket and t-stat housing gasket.

Man, it is a pain in the ass when you think it is all good to go and there is a fast drip of anti-freeze hitting the garage floor.:hang: :dunce:

Do you meen that you used NO gasket? The gasket cement is just to hold or help in sealing a gasket between the two pieces.
All the other products that are being talked about do the same thing,hold the gasket NOT replace it.
Wayne

I used a brand new gasket. Painted one side with Indian Head, waited a few minutes, placed it on the water pump, painted the other side, waited a few minutes, and installed it. Did the same thing on the t-stat housing. I did this on Saturday afternoon and fired it up on Sunday morning. Once it got warm, I could see liquid Indian Head bubbling around the edges.

My uncle suggested Hi-Tack also. He is an aircraft and racecar mechanic, so I am going to give that a go.

cherokee89 said:
I used a brand new gasket. Painted one side with Indian Head, waited a few minutes, placed it on the water pump, painted the other side, waited a few minutes, and installed it. Did the same thing on the t-stat housing. I did this on Saturday afternoon and fired it up on Sunday morning. Once it got warm, I could see liquid Indian Head bubbling around the edges.

My uncle suggested Hi-Tack also. He is an aircraft and racecar mechanic, so I am going to give that a go.

Yea, BUT once it cools down that stuff, indian head, SETS and seals, the first heating and cooling cycle is what makes it seal so well, it cures it. Hi-Tack is good for holding gaskets and sometimes you can even get away with reusing them. With indian head, no chance with that stuff, it becomes part of the gasket.

Can't understand Indian Head not working correctly; I've used it for years and it's my gasket sealer of choice. Maybe it was from a bad batch, or maybe you applied too much? It's to be used sparingly, just thinly rubbed onto the gasket......

RichP said:
Yea, BUT once it cools down that stuff, indian head, SETS and seals, the first heating and cooling cycle is what makes it seal so well, it cures it. Hi-Tack is good for holding gaskets and sometimes you can even get away with reusing them. With indian head, no chance with that stuff, it becomes part of the gasket.

My uncle thought I may be OK, and that it might do exactly what you are talking about. I am in no real hurry to tear into it again, especially if I don't have to. I will let it sit for a few days and try it again. Maybe I jumped the gun with thinking I had messed up the install.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Can't understand Indian Head not working correctly; I've used it for years and it's my gasket sealer of choice. Maybe it was from a bad batch, or maybe you applied too much? It's to be used sparingly, just thinly rubbed onto the gasket......

I may have used too much. I tried not to lay it on too thick, but I covered the whole thing. hmmmm...

Maybe the thermostat slipped out of the block when you tightened down the housing ? Recheck the bolt tightness.
Wayne

Well, I fired it up again and I still have a drip. I am going to tear it apart again and try the Hi-Tac.

Permatex remains pliable after it cures, not sure if the Indian Head (whatever that is) does.

for coating gaskets i've always had excellent results from permatex high tack spray, or their hi temp copper spray-a-gasket. i just use whichever i can find first on my "chemical shelf". seals great-not a single leak yet, and if you ever have to take it apart there's no scraping involved.

Back