• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front skid plate bolts

Rescue xj

NAXJA Forum User
What size are the bolts that go through the rear of the front skid plate into the nuts attached to the rails? I cant seem to get the OEM bolts into my nuts. Do I just need to tap the nuts?

No, they should go right in, maybe stick some clay in there and get an impression. I don't remember the size, I have not removed mine since I put it on like 7 years ago or so... though it will be coming off in couple of weeks when I replace the bib/splash guard thing under there...

sorry to bring up a old post but i bought a front skid and was wondering the same thing. does anybody know what is needed to install the skid. it is cold here and when it gets a little warmer i would like to have everything to install it. pic or what bolts to where would help. i know it i just took it out to the heep and held it up there it prolly be easy to tell where it bolts, but to cold for that right now. thanks for any help!!

97XJ Jeeper said:
sorry to bring up a old post but i bought a front skid and was wondering the same thing. does anybody know what is needed to install the skid. it is cold here and when it gets a little warmer i would like to have everything to install it. pic or what bolts to where would help. i know it i just took it out to the heep and held it up there it prolly be easy to tell where it bolts, but to cold for that right now. thanks for any help!!
All you need is a few bolts. They are right behind where the swaybar bolts up and IIRC it's the same size/thread that the front bumper and sway bar bolts are.

is there threaded holes or do the bolts go throught and you use nuts

97XJ Jeeper said:
is there threaded holes or do the bolts go throught and you use nuts
Threaded nuts already there welded to the frame

thanks renixpower

97XJ Jeeper said:
thanks renixpower
No problem dude. Right now I've got one sitting around to go on my XJ and another to go on my MJ. I'm just waiting to get them blasted first because they are really rusty right now. But yeah it's gravy, everything's there it seems like. There are studs that will tie it into the front crossmember but I'm not sure how necessary they are. You could probably just drop a bolt/nut combo down through if you were worried about it. Have fun.

The very front mounts actually use studs from the factory. They are 8 x 1.5 x 44 m.m. studs (obviously metric). The frame-rail mounts use the same size as the anti-sway bar frame mounts (I can't find that size written in my notes; sorry).

thanks, yeah i coated mine in bedliner and i am waiting on a warm day to put it on and just wanted to know what hardware i needed to get.

Timber said:
The very front mounts actually use studs from the factory. They are 8 x 1.5 x 44 m.m. studs (obviously metric). The frame-rail mounts use the same size as the anti-sway bar frame mounts (I can't find that size written in my notes; sorry).
Those studs tend to be a PITA though. I know when I was pulling these two skids from the junkyard the studs were just spinning loose in their holes. Not sure what the deal was there.

I cant seem to get the OEM bolts into my nuts

That just doesn't sound right...

The front skid plate is a hoot to pull off... Still haven't got the one off at the junk yard and it's got my tow hook brackets I need!

well we had a couple warm days and got it mounted here is some pic so if someone searches they can see close ups where it mount cause i never found any pics.

front edge mounts with 3 bolts and nuts
IMG_1643.jpg

pass side mounts with 3 bolts right behind the swaybar mount
IMG_1635.jpg

drivers side mounts behind swaybar mount with one bolt
IMG_1634.jpg

i dont know thread size these are bolts that my dad had and they worked. i put washers and lock washer on the mounts by the sways, for the front i used lock nuts.

97XJ Jeeper said:
thanks, yeah i coated mine in bedliner and i am waiting on a warm day to put it on and just wanted to know what hardware i needed to get.

Where did you get your skid at? Im going to try to find one and get it on this weekend.

NUT AND WASHER, Hex Flange,
M8x1.25
SCREW AND WASHER, Hex Head,
M10x1.5x30
STUD, Collared, M8x1.25x44.00
this should help for future ref. its from the 2000 parts catalog but should be the same for all years.

BigMike80 said:
Where did you get your skid at? Im going to try to find one and get it on this weekend.
i got mine from a guy on here but i see them on ebay all the time.

Back