• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weight of wheels???

mattyj

NAXJA Forum User
So i was curious as to the weight difference between these wheels 15 x 8:

- common steel (like soft 8)
- aluminum
- beadlock

Anyone ever weigh any of them??

aluminum is lighter than steel.

adding beadlocks is adding more weight, so naturally, a steel beadlock wheel is heaviest.

unmounted wheel weight is usually available from manufacturers.

Thanks for stating the obvious........i was looking for something a little more specific.

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
aluminum is lighter than steel.

For the typical OEM aluminum wheels, the weight saving vs a plain steel is minimal if anything. Look at how much more material they had to use and you'll realize why.

Some nice forged aluminum wheels can save quite a few pounds.

I think my steel beadlock rings added 20lbs a tire. But I'm not sure, I can't exactly remember.

DirtyMJ said:
For the typical OEM aluminum wheels, the weight saving vs a plain steel is minimal if anything. Look at how much more material they had to use and you'll realize why.

Some nice forged aluminum wheels can save quite a few pounds.

I think my steel beadlock rings added 20lbs a tire. But I'm not sure, I can't exactly remember.

Thanks, thats what i was looking for.:D

I just went from a set of Crager Steel Street lock wheels to a set of Pro Comp Alloys. Both are 15x8. The Crager is 31 LBS the Procomp is 20LBS, used a certified scale at work.

xjjeepthing said:
I just went from a set of Crager Steel Street lock wheels to a set of Pro Comp Alloys. Both are 15x8. The Crager is 31 LBS the Procomp is 20LBS, used a certified scale at work.

thats a fairly significant weight reduction. Interesting. Thanks

Uh oh. Now what do you have brewing in that head of yours mate?

corbinafly said:
Uh oh. Now what do you have brewing in that head of yours mate?

Hey, just thinking about stuff...... i'll call when i need some sympathy for more $$$$$ spent:D

mattyj said:
Hey, just thinking about stuff...... i'll call when i need some sympathy for more $$$$$ spent:D
Then my guess is that I'll get a call soon.........

Back