• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fully locked characteristics

mikie2084

NAXJA Forum User
Lastnite I installed a Lockrite in my D30, I drove it out of the garage and put it in 4wd, the steering wheel pulled hard right while makeing a slight turn. This is on dew covered grass, the front didnt seem to unlock when I tried to turn. My c8.25 has a no-slip in it and both front and rear inner tires would spin while turning. Just wondering if this is what a fully locked rig does? Seems like it has a lot of driveline bind up to me too.

98xj
4.56gears
231tc
305/70/r16 baja claws

Thanks

Mike

Did you let off the gas when you where turning? The lockers will stay locked when on the throttle and unlock when you let off the gas.

AARON

I was driving very slow because I didnt know what to expect at first. I didnt really get enough speed while turning to really coast. In 2wd everything is fine, turns fine, drives fine, not clicking or any weird noises. After the first drive I took it back in the garage to recheck everything again, locks and unlocks fine on jackstands. I have never had a fully locked vehicle so just wondering if this is natural. I didnt want to take it out on the road to test it, not a very good idea when the tires were scrubbing in the grass!

Thanks

Mike

Sounds normal to me. JIM.

redrider said:
has anyone ever locked the front and wish they could go back?

I was hesitant on locking the front for a long time, so much I bought a junky tru-trac and ran it until it broke. I finally quit bieng a pussy and got an aussie for my D30. I have been wheeling about 3 or 4 times now and its awsome, really wish I would have done it along time ago. It really shines on steps and ledges. I had some turning radius loss but not that much. Its not as drastic of a change as going from open rear to locked rear but bieng fully locked has no downsides as far as I can tell.

Sounds normal to me. As long as your tires are all the same size, brand, diameter, and aired to the same pressure, it's not too bad. If you have a different brand spare, it's real squirrely with it on. If it's pulling to one side check the stuff I listed above.

Thanks for all the help guys! Took it all apart just to make sure everything was ok. Kind of a pain taking the carrier out again but everything is installed like the manual says it should be. Also followed the directions on DPGOFFROADS site. I drove it in 4wd on a truck turn around thats nothing but loose gravel, and it did the same. I think the pulling is the front tires grabbing uneven spots on the road. Had to make some 5pt turns but thats the worst of it. Who sells a 2lo kit for the 231?

Thanks

Mike

Back