• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear clinic!

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
I will be conducting a clinic on installing gears :repair:at my house for all those DIY'ers out there. :lecture: I don't yet have a date set up because I don't have my parts yet but for now, I just want to see how many folks will be interested. This would be a good opportunity to share our knowledge and learn some skilz. I'm sure some of you could probably show me a trick or two.:dunce: Maybe we can do a BBQ also.

yea same, i'm in depending on the weekend.

that sounds cool. I'm in.

X-7

Figures.... Johns grammar school teacher wrote on his report card "Shares, and plays well with others"

:D

im in if the timing works for me, all i know how to set up is an 8.25 and thats a piece of cake. i'll bring some meat and beer!

John, I have the long adjuster rods with the 36mm hex for that 8.25 you have in the rear, If you want to borrow them, I can probably send them down with skwerly, along with some set up bearings for either axle if you need them too.

Justin

89xjJe3per said:
I need to put 4.10's in my 30 up front but i dont wanna pay someone 700 for it could we do 2 at the same time?? lol

Do you have a new carrier for the front? you will need one if your going from 3.55's to 4.10's

Justin

xjjeeper19 said:
John, I have the long adjuster rods with the 36mm hex for that 8.25 you have in the rear, If you want to borrow them, I can probably send them down with skwerly, along with some set up bearings for either axle if you need them too.

Justin
That would be cool. Last time I just used a 90* pick to turn the adjuster, PITA!

you can make them too, it's real easy, all you need is 2 VW gland nuts
t_11478.jpg

and about 8 feet of tube, and 2 bolts. cut the tube in half, weld the nut to one end, and the bolt to the other(that way you can turn it with a wrench) and your done...nothing special.

Its even cheaper than that. couple of axle nuts work great welded to a piece of 3/4" square tube with a T handle on the end.
If I can find the convinience, I might be up for hangin out.
Can even bring a few tools along... you know, the right tools.
Clamshell bearing puller, Case spreader, some respectable knowledge on setting up gears and a few other tricks of the trade that I have come up with.

Rawbrown said:
Its even cheaper than that. couple of axle nuts work great welded to a piece of 3/4" square tube with a T handle on the end.
If I can find the convinience, I might be up for hangin out.
Can even bring a few tools along... you know, the right tools.
Clamshell bearing puller, Case spreader, some respectable knowledge on setting up gears and a few other tricks of the trade that I have come up with.
That would be great! I have to make do with regular tools. I might make some special tools if I find myself doing gears frequently.

Back