• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help finding motorcycle tires

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
I found a bike today,I'd like to change the tires out. Can anyone recommend a place in the moreno valley/ riverside area? TIA

Chaparral over in San Bernardino (they're right off of the 15) is where I've always gone.....they usually have the best prices-----------Hans

Oatmeal said:
Chaparral over in San Bernardino (they're right off of the 15) is where I've always gone.....they usually have the best prices-----------Hans
Just what I was gonna say. Take the 215 north towards San berdoo, just past the 10 fwy look for mill st, exit there and you can't miss it.
Another option that should be closer is Temecula Motorsports, take 215 south to temecula, merge onto the 15, exit at winchester and turn right, turn right at Jefferson and go about 1/2 mile, it's just on the right side before Siggy's restaurant. Also just 1/2 block down the street on the left is a Cycle Gear store. They also sell tires and have good prices.
Good luck!

What kind of bike you get and what size tires you need?

It is real hard to beat Chaparral on prices and its like Toys r us for motorcycle riders (and ATV and watercraft...haha)

If Neandrathal Cycle Salvage is still there, it's right off of Riverside ave in Rialto, can't beat em usually. They sell new / used tires and bikes, great shop. If a tall, lanky guy named Mark is there, tell em Derek sent ya, you'll probably get a laugh and maybe even a deal.

EBay they comes in sets for the same price as one tire from any shop.Plus they charge you the same price to mount the tires.If you buy from them or bring your own tires in!

I got a 90 suzuki katana 600. From what Ive found the tires sizes are 110.80.17 and 140.80.17

Will Chaparral change the tires on the bike or will I have to take the wheels off and bring them in? There is a stealer ship near my house they will only mount the tires if they are off the bike. is this the norm?

homebrew said:
I got a 90 suzuki katana 600. From what Ive found the tires sizes are 110.80.17 and 140.80.17

Will Chaparral change the tires on the bike or will I have to take the wheels off and bring them in? There is a stealer ship near my house they will only mount the tires if they are off the bike. is this the norm?

Paul. talk to matty. he might have some input on the best solution.

homebrew said:

Sounds strange. They normally love to get the bike in so they can tell you how much money you need to spend on it with them.(n)

You will definately save some money, if you take just the wheels in, and not have to pay for labor to remove & replace them.

guess I'll be investing in a motocycle jack

no just the one side. Can I use a car jack with some safety straps for support?

Sure, you may need to be a little creative.

You can jack it up on the side stand, but can really only do one wheel at a time.
Put a jack under the right side rear & jack it up on the side stand, to remove the rear wheel. The bike will be leaning at an angle, but should be fairly stable. Remember you only need to just lift the wheel enough as to get the axle out.
Then jack up under right side front (once you have reinstalled the rear wheel), again just enough to unload the wheel.

Goodluck

craftsman for $60 on sale a lot at sears or pep boys has a good one. Hell...come over to my place and use mine and my tools. Pretty easy to do and it'll save you a ton...but I'm in Aliso Viejo, so it might be too hard to do for ya.

staps and a jack are my last option I am going to see if I can find a motorcycle jack on base.

is there a big difference between a 150.70.17 and a 180.55.17. It currently has the 150 on it. i found a set on ebay for about 170 shipped. can I run the tire in question.

homebrew said:
is there a big difference between a 150.70.17 and a 180.55.17. It currently has the 150 on it. i found a set on ebay for about 170 shipped. can I run the tire in question.

That tire is considerably wider & designed for a wider wheel than your wheel. I wouldn't recommend it.

can you recommend a web site other than ebay to search for tires by type of bike?

You know you might be best off just buying tires from where ever you choose to get them mounted & balanced. Alot of shops will fit & balance for free if you buy the tires from them.
Sure, you may save a few bucks buying them from the internet but by the time you pay for shipping & then fitting & balancing, you may not really save any cash.
Definately check out Chaparrel Motorsports.

homebrew said:

I have a universal swingarm stand that I paid about $90 for. I'll sell it for
$50. I had a bitchen '99 Honda F4 untill I had an oopsie at Palomar. I hit a tar snake and lowsided bending the rear frame up about 6". I also broke my big toe. I had put a sh!tload of work into fitting Airtech fiberglass fairings and painting it red and white stripes with a blue nose with stars on it. Damn I miss that bike!

Back