• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil leak help... (pics)

caz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys... so my xj has been sitting for about a week or so and it decided to leave a spot about 3" round of oil under it. About 6 months ago the oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and adapter o-rings were all replaced. Here I am now. I cleaned it off a little bit and then took it for a short drive. After driving it, I let it sit for a little bit then took some pictures. The oil had been leaking along the bottom of the tranny and after driving, the thin line seems to be freshly leaked. I just need some opinions as to where you guys think it's coming from. The adapter housing is dry as a bone. If you look at the 3rd pic, you can see the bolt that has some sort-of fresh gunk on it. I have not replaced the valve cover gasket, but there doesn't seem to be any leaks all the way around from what I can tell. The rms is kind of a pain so I figured I'd get some opinions before freakishly tearing into it... lol. Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

DSC03482.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03484.jpg

DSC03486.jpg

Did you check the oil pan bolts for tightness ?

Negative... When I took the pics, I didn't have a chance to do so, but I will tonight or in the morning...

Wipe everything down - check the usual suspects for leaks (RMS, valve cover gasket, oilpan gasket, and oil sender). Repair as needed...if you have to do the RMS then take the time to do a quality oil pan gasket (NAPA 1-piece comes to mind) and a new oil pump pickup.

Back