• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$1,500. what to do... 35's, front alloys, steering box plate...

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so i have $1,500 dollars from gradutaion. but thats only from people that are real close to me (like my dad, mom, etc...) not to sound greedy but more might be on its way.

with that said, I am getting 4 - 35x12.50 MTR's
i definetely have a strong enough steering system, track bar, enough clearance, gearing (4.88's) etc...
i definetely want a front locker (aussie) soon but i know ill need the chromolly shafts if i want to have 35's locked on a dana 30.

my question is... what do you guys think would be the best things to get first?
this is what im thinkin:
1. Get the 35's. i already have a spare with 100% trade - $950 out the door mounted and balanced.
2. Steering box reinforcement plate by c-rok. about $100 shipped

that leaves me with about $500 left.

-maybe i should just save up and wait till i have the money for alloys and get a front locker later.

-maybe i should just get a front locker and carry spare shafts, tack the caps on and go easy knowin i have locked 35's on a dana 30...

what do you all think?
-Shomsky

Can you fab? Make your own steering box plate for 10 bucks, if so. As for the alloys, I'd hold off. Stock 297 shafts will hold up for quite a while on 35's if you grind them out and run full circle c-clips. Lock it up and carry prepped spare shafts. Stick with the Spicer forged ujoints- a little spendy but IMO the best combo of strength and price.

Bryan C. said:
I think you need some seat time. :confused1

then lets go wheelin!!! :)

so i think im gonna get a front locker for my HP 30 (aussie)
then ill see about fabbin up a serring box plate. my stepdad has a drill press and everything. i can use my best friends millermatic 175 to weld.

i always carry assembled spare shafts with me anyways. ill just take it easy until i can get some alloys.
thanks
-Shomsky

sheeks175 said:
You bastard I only got like $350 for graduation!

yeah i was soo extremely surprised with how much money i recieved. i still dont even think it has hit me yet.

anyways...
i just ordered a front aussie locker for the front. i figured as long as i go pretty easy on it it wont be so bad and if i do break a shaft. i do carry fully assembled shafts for both sides.

and i have a 35" MTR with 100% tread for a spare. 75 bucks for the tire mounted and balanced on a rim! :)

next step: tires!! then im just gonna wait a while
-Shomsky

Shomsky462 said:
yeah i was soo extremely surprised with how much money i recieved. i still dont even think it has hit me yet.

anyways...
i just ordered a front aussie locker for the front. i figured as long as i go pretty easy on it it wont be so bad and if i do break a shaft. i do carry fully assembled shafts for both sides.

and i have a 35" MTR with 100% tread for a spare. 75 bucks for the tire mounted and balanced on a rim! :)

next step: tires!! then im just gonna wait a while
-Shomsky

Nice! I have an aussie locker to. I have alloy shafts. I plan on running 35's as well. You should be ok just go easy on them shafts. Maybe by some alloys with your extra $$.

sheeks175 said:
Nice! I have an aussie locker to. I have alloy shafts. I plan on running 35's as well. You should be ok just go easy on them shafts. Maybe by some alloys with your extra $$.

yeah i will definetely want to run alloys soon but as for right now what im going to do is pay for my tires about $950 and i already bought my aussie $250 shipping. im gonna fab up my own steering box reinforcement plate because:
1. i like fabricatng stuff like this
2. its a peice of plate with holes in it.
3. its a lot cheaper

should i go with 3/16" plate or 1/4"? ill be using a drill press and a sawzall and a grinder. and what about the inside of the frame?
thanks
-Shomsky

I've probably nickel and dimed five grand into my junk, and no doubt, the single best purchase I made was...

Membership.

Robert

Robert 771 said:
I've probably nickel and dimed five grand into my junk, and no doubt, the single best purchase I made was...

Membership.

Robert

good idea.

i have used this forum quite a bit. and received quite a bit of extremely helpful advice. so this is the order of purchases:
1: aussie, done
2: tires, shipping/ordered
3: NAXJA membership

thanks for that wonderful advice
-Shomsky

Back