• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake bleeding on a d35

90exjay

NAXJA Forum User
tried searching but can't find anyone with my situation,i hav a 1990 xj 2 door sport with d35 rear and for the life of me can't find the bleeder valve on the back of the drum have looked at an 89 d35 and it has the bleeder valve in the expected location.any help would be great.

Thnx Sean

is it possible that somone has broken off the bleeder? They like to break off flush in the back of the wheel cylinder.
I've had 3 d35's and the bleeder has been in the same local everytime, just above the hardline.
If the bleeders are broken off don't bother trying to salvage the wheel cylinders, they're about $8 at the local parts store and come with new bleeders.

IMG_0225.jpg

this is what i am seeing

well that's odd.it looks like someone sealed it up with RTV or something. THe bleeder should be right where that rubber looking plug thingy is.
I got nothing for you.
i'd say look at replacing the wheel cyliders and not worry about it anymore.

Yep, that's the spot - right between the two bolt heads. It looks like someone's messed with yours. Can you see what happens if you hit that round spot with an EZ out? or just slap in new wheel cylinders.

UltimateG said:
Yep, that's the spot - right between the two bolt heads. It looks like someone's messed with yours. Can you see what happens if you hit that round spot with an EZ out? or just slap in new wheel cylinders.

Chances are very good that you'll never get the stub out, and you'll end up breaking the easy-out. In addition, since the base of the hole is a precise taper, it's difficult to drill without damage. You can get a special kit to drill and tap out a bleeder and replace it with a pipe threaded fitting and a bleeder, but it's not worth the trouble when you can get a new wheel cylinder for about 12 bucks with a brand new bleeder on it.

Matthew Currie said:
Chances are very good that you'll never get the stub out, and you'll end up breaking the easy-out. In addition, since the base of the hole is a precise taper, it's difficult to drill without damage. You can get a special kit to drill and tap out a bleeder and replace it with a pipe threaded fitting and a bleeder, but it's not worth the trouble when you can get a new wheel cylinder for about 12 bucks with a brand new bleeder on it.
x a gajillion. I broke one trying to bleed mine. Didn't even think twice, just go get two new ones. If you're handy with drum brakes you can have them both installed in about an hour.

Back