• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open cooling system and fan thermoswitch

ptf18

NAXJA Forum User
I converted my 88 XJ to a open cooling system after the son ran the XJ into the back of a school bus...he was suppose to be on...He in Iraq now but thats another story.

While doing the conversion I install a late model thermostat housing with the thermoswitch in it.....at least I thought it was a switch. I also got the wiring harnass that goes to the switch and wired it into the original fan switch wiring (the switch that was originally installed into the radiator)

Everything seemed to work fine but the electric fan never seemd to come on unless the a/c was on....

Never thought much of it untill I read a thread that mentions that the thermoswitch in the late model thermostat housing is not a on/off switch as it is a variable resistance switch....

I checked the resisitance across my switch while chasing a belt chirp noise and found that resisatance drops to near ZERO as the engine get hotter.

This means that the switch would never "close" and the electric fan will never turn on.
I jumped the wiring connector at the switch end and the fan did run.

So I'ld like to know it there is a on/off thermoswitch that i could install at the same location in the thermostat housing. Or shoud I just get an "early" switch and install it in the radiator which I think has a blanking plug currently installed.

Back