• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny mount nut FUBAR!

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
My engine and tranny mounts are shot so I started on the tranny mount first.

Put floor jack under rig, jacked up tranny just enough to take the weight off the crossmember and started unbolting everything.

Well it went fine until the last of the studs on the tranny mount. Darn nut is almost rounded off!! I was just gonna try and beat a smaller size socket onto it and try to undo it that way. Its in a hole so I can't get anything except a socket onto it.

Any other ideas?

thanks

dremel tool with a cutoff wheel attachement . Cut the nut on two sides. it will come off in two pieces. Pick up a new nut at the store. I think the nut is a M10x1.5 off the top of my head (if you are talking about the crossmember that goes from the Unibody rail on one side all the way accross to the other and hold the transsmission mount on top of it in the center)

I am not talking about the crossmember bolts/nuts, I am talking about the tranny mount studs/nuts, the ones in the middle that are "inside" the crossmember. There is almost no room for anything else but a socket in that hole they stick though.

YER SCREW'D!!!!!!.........Doesn't Sears have a socket for rounded-off nuts? Thought I seen some somewhere.....sorry not much help here.

-Ron

Irwin Tools makes a "corkscrew" kind of socket that will grab and twist a rounded nut. I have no idea what the part number is, but I know it's available from two of the local parts stores-- Pep Boys and Advance IIRC.

--Shorty

P.S. they come in a set of five or six and they run about $25, but they work like a champ!:roflmao:

Back