• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RUSTYS prerunner winch bumper?

I put his Stinger bumper on 2 years ago. Same design, larger front hoop. It has taken a few Good smacks and held up well. I replaced the 1 inch braces with 1.5 inch DOM braces. Also he made mine custom width to account for the frame plating I did on both sides. Fit like a charm. It has extended side plates to pick up all the available holes in the 'frame rail', and since I had already plated the front clip, I also welded the bumper to the front plates. Very strong.
Last year I picked up the front tube with 1.5 inch DOM around the fender wells and tied them into the rock rails, which are tied to the cage. eliminated all the front clip flex.
Several pics of my 01 on here if you wanna see it.

D.

Yea I looked at the T%T one....I kind of like the simplicity of the RUSTYS one. I dont do rocks...I do a lot of fire roads,mud and trail clean ups. i just want a way to hold a winch and a few lights up front. Im probably going to make a skidplate that goes from the bottom of the bumper down, kind of like most prerunners have. But I wanted to see some close ups here first!

n51208097_30885136_423.jpg

n51208097_30885137_1302.jpg

I just put mine on last night. This is what Rusty's looks like mounted on a stock 99 XJ. It went on pretty easy and looks good. I don't know how well it rides yet though. Hope this helps.

Motorvated said:
Wow...uh, that looks WAY differant than it doe son there site. Glad I got your pictures first. guess its back to the TNT :)

"You have chosen.....wisely". -Old guy from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Here's my tnt bumper. I have 15 grade 8 5/8" bolts and nylock nuts holding it on and it's tied into the frame sleeves now.

Be sure to do a darn good job on coating the little "cranny" in front of the winch plate and the fairlead mount with paint or coating.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243474082&postcount=18

chevelle01969 said:
n51208097_30885136_423.jpg

It went on pretty easy and looks good...
Well I'm glad you think so since its your Jeep.

Personally, I think it looks ugly as hell. It definitely doesn't flow with the form of the XJ, looks like someone fabbed it up and just threw it on there. Way too much openness between the bumper and bottom of fascia.

Definitely check out TNT. They are a lot higher quality. I'm still not sure what to think on the Backbone system, I just don't like how its not an actual bumper.

Sorry, not my thing. I get images from Mad Max..... Lord Humungus and those dudes he strapped to the front of his rig....

F100Humungous.jpg

chevelle01969 said:
I am glad you all hate my bumper.

I just don't like Rusty's bumper... It's a bummer you got stuck with one.

Sorry, but IMO Rustys design and fitment sucks. It needs to mount about 3" higher and tuck in closer to the front end. It also needs to taper more because the ends are going to get hung up sticking way out the way they do. They should also extend back under the fenders to protect them. It would also look much better if the stinger was narrower.

After looking at his site I would contact him and return it due to the fact it is not the same bumper they advertise and the fitment is way off. Get your money back and buy the T&T Customs bumper. You will be glad you did.

And no I'm not affiliated with T&T Customs, I'm the original TNT on this site since back in 2000.

I'm not hating, just trying to help.

If I bought the RUSTYS bumper from the picture on the site....ide be very upset when I got it. it looks NOTHING like the bumper shown. On the site its a small,light winch bumper. That thing is a freakin monster! if you lik eit, rock it! but I wont be even thinking about it. T&T here I come :)

Hey I love my Rusty's bumper. And I really don't care what other people think. It performs amazingly well. HAHA and it's just rediculous. Therefore it is an amzing bumper. The only thing I would like to do is reinforse the tow hook brackets. It increases my aprach angle a buch and bolts to the sub-frame and takes a beating.

IMG_0529.jpg

me compared to other rigs

l_d03598232392e6a08eb361b0172ce519.jpg

Back