• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 tire alignment problem...........

sik4wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so ever since I put larger over stock tires on my xj about 3 maybe 4 years ago the tires have never been perfectly straight up and down on the sides. It looks like a sand buggy where the tires tilt in on the top. It is not that bad, but I know there is something wrong. I cant tell if the knuckle or part of the housing is bent. I have thoughts about the caster may no be set perfect, but I am unsure. I also I have the TnT long arm kit with about 6.5" of lift on 34s. Please help, I am soon going to have 35 bfgs and would like them to last .Thank you.

More likely your ball joints are history if the top of the tire leans in, but a bent axle housing/knuckle could cause the same. This would not be caster, but camber, to which there is no adjustment for on the D30.

Well the ball joints are all withing 2years old. I know a stock xj the camber is non adjustable, but since I have adjustable long arms the camber needs to be set correctly. I am hoping that the camber is off and nothing is bent. Unfortunetly I have had other lift kits on before my tnt that were adjustable and I have had the same problem, which lead me to believe something is bent in the front.

I've seen offset ball joints for the D30 to adjust camber, but I don't know if these work for Cherokees. I do know that they don't come from the factory that way, but perhaps the guy who did yer balljoints used the adjustable variety?

It sounds like a bent housing to me...Keep us posted.

The guy who did my ball joints was myself. There was a nut on i forget either the uppers or lowers that could be adjusted. I think the nut is just for tightening the ball joints after they begin to ware in. Also does anyone have or know where i could get a new housing. The part that sucks is that I have an ARB that will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled. Thanks for the help guys.

IMO your situation is normal. I have it, the tires wear fine and it drives fine (just looks a little dorky).

Any lift of 3" if you want a decent driveshaft angle, you've got to rotate the axle and that is going to change the camber. I get front end alignments once a year and the tech says my axles in within tolerance. At 5" of lift and 33x10.50 tires, many notice the odd stance when standing in front.

The crazy part is, it doesn't seem to show up on all D30s. I've seen most that are straight as an arrow, but others like ours show up every now and then. This is my 4th year this way and mechanically, it's doin' just fine.

caster is adjustable with a longarm, not camber.

If you've got 34s, and your ball joints were done 2 years ago, chances are that they probably need to be done again.

Back