• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hardline Replacement ?s

LivinUpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so tomorrow im gonna start puting my 44 together, pretty much getting the axle shafts back in and the disc brakes on. I need to get new hardlines though. This is what ive gathered so far.....3/16" hardline, standard thread, Ill need a tube bender, and a double flaring tool? Now pretty much im lost after this. Ive never seen this or done this before. So if some of yall could kinda let me know what needs to be done and any tips or what not. Thanks

You won't need a bender, just use your hands and be careful. Screw flaring and such, just buy the pre-flared lines. There will be a tiny bit extra, but just make it take a long route and make a little circle right near the caliper to take up the extra. That's what I did. Probably not the prettiest brake lines ever, but they work, and it was fast.

OK now the pre flared lines....do you happen to know how long for each side?

Just measure, and get the ones that are closest. I think I ended up doing 18 or 24" on the short side, and like 30 or 36" on the long side, but don't quote me exactly. Go measure.

yeah i will just wondering, thanks

I'll be at work tonight if you want to stop by....

Dropping my 44 in this weekend finally after the 35 shatted on me...

Doing the same thing with the lines.

Highlander said:
I'll be at work tonight if you want to stop by....

Dropping my 44 in this weekend finally after the 35 shatted on me...

Doing the same thing with the lines.

Let this guy do his, and then help you with yours. The second run always comes out prettier!!

HA well yeah ill stop by man, I just need to get this done in the next 2 weeks, im moving to PA for school

To get your line measurements:
Grab a couple wire coat hangers or some old romex wire. Bend it to match where you want the lines to run. When you get the routing the way you want it, straighten out the wire and measure it. Get a pre-flared line the next length longer.
Bending:
If you want a good looking job, don't make big goofy looking curves. Keep the lines straight and use small radius bends, just like the factory parts.
For a bend in the middle of a line, grip the line with both hands, thumbs tip to tip pressing against the tube. Bend the tube on the points of your thumbs.
For a bend near one end of the line:
Put a box end wrench on the flare nut. If the bend is right on the end of the line, back the flare nut down at least 1/4" away from the flare. Put your thumb against the flare nut and use leverage from the wrench to make a small bend. Move the flare nut down the line 1/16" and make another small bend. Keep this up untill you have the proper bend angle. Don't try to bend the tube with the flare nut all the way against the flare. The tube will try to kink, and it will make it hard to spin the flare nut without a wrench.
To bend a full loop: Use a piece of plastic pipe upright in a vise. Set one side of the tube against the vise jaw. Hold it in place with one hand, and pull the tube around the pipe with your othr hand.

I recently had a hardline start to leak on my d35 not too long ago. I bought oem lines for a 8.25 rear at the dealer since d35 lines were no longer available. I placed em up and its almost a dead on perfect match. I needed to make one little bend. They cost me under $40 for both sides, but I pay dealer cost cause I work at a dealer.

For nice stainless line I would have paid a little more and still had to fab everything up. Didn't seem worth it to me.

Back