• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 Steering Column

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so somehow I managed to bend my steering column right behind the steering wheel, so it rubs at some points in turning and I dont like the added resistance and sticking through turning. I am going to try and bend it back to how it was, but if that fails, what years can I use the steering column from in a 93? That and does it matter auto vs. standard? The pull yard I called asked about if it was standard so idk if it matters, I didnt think so but now I am unsure.

Either that or does anyone have any advice in getting it straight again? I can deal with it so I am gonna try and save the money and time by fixing it, but I searched and came up with very little regarding what can swap with what.

Thanks
Scott

how did you bend it? Are you sure the torx bolts have not come lose in it?

To retain the same key, you should be able to use 91-94. 95 had the airbag and 90- had the gm keys.

Thanks, I really dont know how I bent it. Would the torx bolts cause it to always be loose to one side, and cause the wheel itself to rub inside the column (how there is that bit of overlap?) And which torx bolts are you refering to? They up inside the column near the wheel itself? I would love to know how it got this way though, only thing i can think of is my brother pulling himself up into is using the wheel or something. Or friend, I just know my brothers a big guy so in the couple times he got in it might have been it. other than that i couldnt tell ya, it just kinda happened over time, started rubbing one day and I cant tell if its getting worse or just staying the same. i may just be noticeing it more now that I thought about replacing it.

If it's a tilt steering column, then the torx bolts inside have probably come loose. It's an easy fix. Try looking up GM/Saginaw tilt steering column fix, or something of the such. Make sure to use some red loctite on them bolts when you put it back together. Oh, you'll need to get the GM/Saginaw pivot pin removal tool. You should be able to find it at a GOOD local auto store for about $10.00

Ok, thanks, ill look into it, but it doesnt seem to be lose, when i attempt to move the wheel, it feels tight as ever, looking at it again its almost like someone leaned on one side of it and bent it a bit to one angle, so its not lined up completely perpendicular to the column itself. I am gonna tear it apart over the wkend if I can find the time, or I might just deal with it. but thanks for the info

Back