• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tank trap

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
anyone heard of the tank trap up at reiter? its on the index wall trail and my frined went up to it on his dirtbike and said it was huge. anyone been through it?

I assume that you are refering to the very large mud pit/lake that is just after the "Y" before you get to the entrance to the Wall trail.

I have not been past there in a LOOOOOONG time but I have seen several rig's stuck in there. Most of the rig's I have seen stuck in there couldn't even get to the middle (less than 36" tires), but I have seen several stuck in the middle with 40+" tires and locked front and rear. Then again the vast majority of those people have been young, drunk and stupid. I have watched for a little while from a safe distance, but they have ALWAYS had to winch out.

The trail used to be my favorite. Great place to wheel, maybe it has changed but that is just my old memory.

I am sure Karl can provide more details about it more recently!!

Michael

alexer03 said:
anyone heard of the tank trap up at reiter? its on the index wall trail and my frined went up to it on his dirtbike and said it was huge. anyone been through it?
When I`ve heard about "tank traps" they were big trenches dug across a road or trail to keep vehicles out of that area ,meaning the trail is closed.

It's just a mean nasty hole near the wall trail at Reiter Trails.

It's right by the entrance to BYS.

For the record, I watched a stock XJ get about 2 feet into it before he was STUCK. The hole isn't that big, but it stays wet year round and it seems to have no bottom. You start fording it and as soon as you lose momentum, you start sinking. Rocking through it helps a little. Unless you are in a mud truck with big tires and lots of power, and get a little go at it, You aint makin it through there.

Here's Kent about 1/4 of the way into it. He had to get winched out. It doesn't really look bad, nor is it that deep (there are a few huge "44 inch tire" sized holes in there) but it is bottomless and the more you spin, the deeper you go.

IMG_4557.jpg

KarlVP said:
It's just a mean nasty hole near the wall trail at Reiter Trails.

It's right by the entrance to BYS.

For the record, I watched a stock XJ get about 2 feet into it before he was STUCK. The hole isn't that big, but it stays wet year round and it seems to have no bottom. You start fording it and as soon as you lose momentum, you start sinking. Rocking through it helps a little. Unless you are in a mud truck with big tires and lots of power, and get a little go at it, You aint makin it through there.

Here's Kent about 1/4 of the way into it. He had to get winched out. It doesn't really look bad, nor is it that deep (there are a few huge "44 inch tire" sized holes in there) but it is bottomless and the more you spin, the deeper you go.

IMG_4557.jpg
Thats NO "tank trap" :doh: thats just a big nasty mud hole calling for Matt ,We have seen how he performs at Tahuya .Send him there .Matty`ll do it.:pirate1:

Im pretty sure that "Tank traps" is used as a broad term for mud holes. But has anyone actually seen a real tank trap or attemted to drive though one?? Sadly enough these pics are far far from an actuall tank trap where the entrance and exit to the trap is quite steep and short, and obsticals in the muddy water slurry is riddled with largely sized logs ancored at many diffrent angles to throw tracks from then tanks............ actual tank traps are serious biz. Hence the term "TANK TRAPS"

Can we get some girls to play in the mud while waiting for the extraction?

KarlVP said:
Lets make it a 30 pack.

By the time you get your ass out of that hole, I'll have made it into a 24 pack.

It's not really wheeling to get there so I'm willing to bend my doctors rules to watch/be part of the recovery for thisif it happens in the next month.

Back