• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dunes, Disconect Sway Bar?

need4speedjp

NAXJA Forum User
I will be heading up to Silver lake Sand Dunes soon, and was curious to your opinions wether or not to dis connect the anti-Swaybar(front). i dont plan on trying to break any axles by gettin airborne,but just push the limits as far as i can. i got about 4 in of lift and 32s. Thanks

sure dude, If you dont like it just hook em back up.

Tire pressure will be your big thing. I have run as low as 6 PSI on the dunes, works great, but you have to be careful while cornering.

Can you run pressure that low without locking rings? Well, and keep your tires on!?!

6 psi on regular rims is really pushing it. To be more on the safe side i would run like 12psi, even then you still have a risk of running off the bead but obviously much less of a risk then at 6. I would think to keep that sway bar on because youll be doing more speed then actuall flexing and youll probably get better control with it on. But try both, see which feels better to you. Have fun.

When I went to Silver lake, I took both XJ left the swaybars on and aired down the tires.
15psi was too high
12psi got better
8psi was great
Lower maybe better, I just didn't try it
One XJ has 31' the other 235/75-15's Street tread...

Have fun, I did.

I am running 3.5 lift, with 15x32 GY MTR's. I was trying a hill several times at 12psi, couldn't make it, went to six in rear and I think 7 in front.... maybe 9 in front, can't remember. Anyway, drove right up the hill.

I also carry a CO2 tank.

Have yet to loose a bead, I am running 15x8 "regular" rims.

turn wide.

Have a blast!

When ya goin? I am thinking about going Aug 12th weekend.

i wouldn't. tried it on one of my beach runs and it felt like i was hopping all over the place. keep them connected for traction.

need4speedjp said:
I will be heading up to Silver lake Sand Dunes soon, and was curious to your opinions wether or not to dis connect the anti-Swaybar(front). i dont plan on trying to break any axles by gettin airborne,but just push the limits as far as i can. i got about 4 in of lift and 32s. Thanks

I disco at the dunes... I helps back in the woods and such where you have the bikes and quad trails and they run a soup bowl around all of the trees.

I run 6-8 psi in my 31x10.50x15 MTRs on stock 7 inch wheels.... My CJ I had 31x13.50x15 Mickey T's on a 12 inch wide wheel. I ran those down to 3-4 PSI. Never broke a bead. That rolled the side wall down 2-3 inches and gave me an 18 inch wide contact patch. The CJ was a trailer queen so a messed up bead/tire/rim was of little concern

There are couple or tricks to running that low in the sand.

1) Use a good low pressure tire gauge....If your gauge only marks every 5 PSI it is not accurate enough to nail 6PSI. Get a 0-15 or 0-20 PSI gauge. You should be able to find the at one of the following places.... Silver Lake Citgo in the triangle in town, Dune Land, or Apple Tree.

2) Start about 10 PSI... air comes out of a tire way easier than it goes in.

3) Never take a turn at speed... No doughnuts, cheerios or other show offs. The faster you like to drive the higher the pressure you will need.

4) always go as straight up and straight down the hills as you can. I like to hill climb so I will get as close to the base of the hills as I can, stop and then start my climb. The low pressure helps me get as much traction as possible.

5) check your pressure often. I would start at 3-4 PSI in the morning and by 3PM after the day was hot and the side walls had warmed up the pressure would creep back up to 6-8 PSI. I would bleed it back to 3-4 PSI. Then by the next moring when everything had cooled agian I would have to put more air back in to get to 3-4 PSI.

Jeff

i'd leave them connected for more stability. i cant think of any time there that lots of flex is a good idea. i've run 31" BFG MT's at 10-12psi with good results.

leave them connected. Your jeep will feel like its going all over the place without them. you dont really need them disconnected unless your going to be hitting a lot of whoops, then i would disconnect them for that.

Swaybars are over rated I haven't run a sway bar up front in any of my trucks for 4 years. With the right coil and shock combo, you can achieve handling capabilities up to par with a stock xj. And its much smoother off road for my driving styles.

Personally I always disco at our dunes. I run OME shocks and springs which are very firmly supple, coupled with 31x10.50 Cooper STTs which Ive yet to have to air down. At four inches of lift with this combo, Ive been allowed to crawl through even the softest stuff, and just rip ass on the rest.

i have a pretty much stock 90 XJ and i just hurd about the disco,and im going out to beverly sand dunes this coming weekend,so im glad i was abel to find this post.but ither way i have micky T bead locker rims wraped with "hurcules" 31's and there bald as hell!!!ither way i was running standered 30 PSI in them and i couldent make it up this hill for the life of me,but i droped down to right about 8 PSI and made it up no problem,but my buddy with his yota and IFS had to be draged up the hill by another XJ hahaha!!but ither way i ran the tires at 8 PSI all the way back home and they are still there,so with a good set of rims and shitty ass tires you donthave to worry about losing it at high speed ;) hahaha!

Are they real bead locks or are they bead looks? Also, I'd never recommend running 8 psi on the street, especially if driving long distance on the highway. Lower tire pressures equate to higher heat and wear for the tire, which equates to a tire :explosion

When I go to the dunes I keep my sway bar connected unless I am back in the woods on the quad trails. On the dunes you are going alot faster than you are out on the trails, you want the stability! I have ran 4 psi for 2 days straight and never lost a bead on 33X12.5-15 BFG M/t's on 15X8 wheels. I just didn't side hill and turned slower, I could go more places than any other truck with a factory engine in it.

Now that I have 15X10 wheels I don't air down below 6 and I have lost a tire quite a few times. On board air is a big help though.

I run my old YJ with front sway bar on at S.L. all the time. Like everyone else has said run with the least air you dare. I run 4 psi on 33x12.50 BFG mtson 10"rims.Only once lost a bead while towing someone out of the quad bowls. Spend a little time getting used to the dunes and it will be a favorite.
Ron

Back