• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower spring perch set up

hellbilly04

NAXJA Forum User
Wandering if anyone could here. I bought a new set of lower spring perches from Ballistic Fab with out the LCA mounts & need to know how to set them up? I had torched off the micky mouse mounts the guy before me boggered on the axle & have the new perches tacked on. The question I have :
Do the perches need to set up with the same amount of deg as I have in caster or should they be set at zero at ride height? Right now their tacked at 7 deg negitave, same as the caster. If there set at zero the coil has a pretty good bow in it at ride height. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the image size but thought you could get a good look at what I'm talking about.
I had asked another memebr here that installed a set of these who I helped out in a pich & received no responce from him.. Great guy !

Frontshot.jpg

LFT

I would set my caster to 5 degrees positive (top of axle rotated toward the rear). Adjust your links to move the axle forward enough to relieve any bow in the coil springs. Then set the lower coil mounts so that they point directly at the upper coil seat. But that's just my educated guess.

Personally, I would set the axle to the pinion angle you want at ride height and weld the perches level at that point. Can you post up some details about that "y" link setup you have? Looks trick!

jeeperjohn said:
Personally, I would set the axle to the pinion angle you want at ride height and weld the perches level at that point. Can you post up some details about that "y" link setup you have? Looks trick!

If the inners knuckles have not been rotated, and you set the correct pinion angle, you will have destroyed the caster setting.
If you have manual locking hubs, and you don't plan on driving in 4 hi at speed, then I think caster is more important than a perfect pinion angle.
A bad caster setting will affect normal 2hi driving. When you are wheeling in 4wd you aren't going fast enough to worry about drive line vibes.
If the axle ends have been rotated then all of this is mute.
IMHO.

and where is that drag link going.... ?

Last edited:
jeeperjohn said:
3link wishbone

Sierra Drifter said:
If the inners knuckles have not been rotated, and you set the correct pinion angle, you will have destroyed the caster setting.
If you have manual locking hubs, and you don't plan on driving in 4 hi at speed, then I think caster is more important than a perfect pinion angle.
A bad caster setting will affect normal 2hi driving. When you are wheeling in 4wd you aren't going fast enough to worry about drive line vibes.
If the axle ends have been rotated then all of this is mute.
IMHO.

and where is that drag link going.... ?

The caster is set already as I'm just redoding the lower spring pearches & LCA's as you can see why in this picture, Look where the bump stop is at full bump!. Not sure what the the guy was thinking when he designed this :eek:

Nope no drag link, that's the beauty of
Lftsideoldbump.jpg
the WishBone!
Lftsideoldbump.jpg

Last edited:
. Can you post up some details about that "y" link setup you have? Looks trick![/quote]

Hey didn't we wheel together in Big Bear?

As for the details on the Wishbone, I didn't build it. The Wishbone is 1 1/2 solid stock drilled & taped with 3/4 x 3/4 heims at the frame & has a 3 inch Uniball at the axle. It works really good & hope to make it better with the upcoming changes I have planned.. Thanks for ideas, I think I'm going with you suggestion on setting them level & ride height.

hellbilly04 said:
I had asked another memebr here that installed a set of these who I helped out in a pich & received no responce from him.. Great guy !

DUDE I am Sure your talking about me! But how can I answer any question(s) if you dont ask me? I never got a email, or PM here. I had to click on yoru name and do a search for all post by you to ever get to this one! Ask anyone here that deals with me, I will let you use anything I own (within reason), just ask Skulivan (who still has my die set) and will help out anyone I can if time permits. Being a dad with a wife thats also prego with a new kid on the way and a home that needs some attention its tough at times though.

I dont know if maybe you PM'ed or Emailed the wrong name or addy, but please dont go thinking what you do currently.

PM me or call me or email me. I just replied to a PM from you. Just ask.

Rob

Back