• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"99" power window question (motor)

Odarby

NAXJA Forum User
Got the sound of gears stripping (clutch sound in a cordless drill) in my drivers side power window. I presume I need to replace the motor assembly. What years will work if I start looking in the bone yards?? Thanks

There is a company that sells kits to fix this... Replaces the plastic with metal and only cost ~ $40 for 2 repair kits!! I will send you the info later. Just shoot me a pm reminder.

Thanks,

George T.

If you're going the boneyard route though, 97-01 fits it directly.

I have a 2000 XJ and have gone through both a passenger side front and a drivers side front over the last 6 years of owning the vehicle.

The repair kit I am going to try next is linked below.. Seems cheaper and easier than finding used or even new parts that will break eventually.

If they have done a 'redesign' on the newly available parts from the dealership then I have nothing to worry about for my front 2. If they haven't then I know where I am going. =-)

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

George T.

Not so sure on the "redesigned" part of the new regulator/motor units. I replaced my passenger front back in April of 2006 after it let go (right as I pulled into the house 200+ miles away from home at the beach, with no tools.....learned a good lesson that night). Drivers front let go back in September of 2006. I'm already hearing some popping from the passenger front, and the drivers front snapped IMMEDIATELY after I installed it (and yes I had I installed it properly).

From what i've been seeing on here, they're now retailing $200ish from the dealer, where they used to be $100.

When (note I say WHEN not IF) they break again, i'm going the repair route listed above.

The above listed repair route is the way to go. I did my drivers window a couple of weeks ago - took less then 2 hours and saved around $150.00

wish i would have known this a few months ago...i had to put new regulators in both my front doors within a few weeks of each other. both went with a sudden snap of the cable.

Back