• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much trouble are TJ flares?

chevelle01969

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching around and I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for on how much you really have to do to put TJ flares on an XJ. Do you have to trim the fender or can you just leave it alone? I like the look of the TJ flares more than the bushwhackers, but I dont really want to do much trimming on the fender. Sorry if the answer is in a past thread but I could'nt find it. Thanks.

You have to trim the edge of the TJ flares where there is a lip and a couple of locating pags sticking out of them. You don't have to trim your fenders but it would give you a cleaner look and better clearance for bigger tires. I drilled a hole through the fender and into the front clip area to wire up the TJ marker lights mounted on the flares. I attached mine with rivnuts and machine screws but you could use sheetmetal screws. I like the look of them also, I just need to find some rear TJ flares now for the back.

I prefer the look of rear flares all around.

The flare itself is a almost a square shape, but the inside where it mounts is round to fit the TJ fenderwell. Scribe a line 1.5 or 2 inches from the outside of the flare all around the face where it mounts, drill some new holes and then trim the inside of your fender to match the flare.

You gain clearance in the fender without sacrificing the flare.

they are not alot of trouble but if you take your time they will come out great. I would definately trim for the reasons above more room and it looks better cuz the flares are alot bigger then the stock XJ's. On the rear make sure you trim the inside lip of the flare alot so you can't see as much of the inner fenderwell here are some pics the fronts I trimmed up all the way to the windshield wiper fluid tank. The last one is real dirty so it looks kinda crappy

click to make em bigger

Back