• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Bumper -- which winch?

BC-Handler

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put an ARB bumper on my '99 XJ. Mounting it was not too hard, and it certainly is a well-made unit. However....

Like a lot of off-road accessories I've purchased, the written instructions really suck. They kind of tell you what to do with a fairlead, but ideas about winch mounting are left to the installer's imagination.
In photos of the bumper in catalogs and magazines I've seen a Warn winch installed with the remote solenoid box mounted above the bumper and the winch inside. No clue what model Warn it was, though.
Also, most winches I've used have a lever of some sort on the right side that chooses engage or free-wheel. I see no place (hole) to access that lever on the bumper the way it is. Am I supposed to use a hole saw and drill an access hole?

Anybody have experience with this popular bumper?

Thanks;
BC-Handler.

Prepmech said:
The Warn M8000 or Tabor 9000 winches will fit the ARB bumper. You have to re-clock the winch so that the lever points down.

You mean I might have to get one knee muddy??? Horrors!

Thanks Prepmech. Now why couldn't ARB just add those two sentences to their instructions? But I guess I could be charged with a: :doh:

BC-Handler
Search and Rescue Border Collies Phantom and Scout

Back