• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difficult starting

Ackattack

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I got my oil leak issues figured out, so now I'll move on to my next concern.

Basically when I crank the engine (90 MJ with 4.0L renix with an auto) it turns over beautifully, but usually doesn't fire up after 3-5 seconds of cranking. I let off on the key and then try again and it will usually fire up.

This really hasn't caused me any problems, but I figure it can be improved. I figure making some adjustments to this or that may help. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have the exact same problem with my 98. I was getting ready to start a post to see if anyone had any suggestions for what to check.

3-5 second crank time is normal. It is due to the computer checking the sensors to syncronize the timing. It is actually quite beneficial. It allows a small amount of oil pressure to be built up before the engine starts.

well it doesn't fire up after the initial 3-5 seconds....I let off the switch and then try again.

My 96 ZJ pretty much fires write up after just a second of cranking.

Don't know all the details, but have you thought about the fuel pump and sock? Kind of sounds like the start to the fuel pump problems I had on my '99.

Last edited:
tbrunson said:
Don't know all the details, but have you thought about the fuel pump and sock? Kind of sounds like the start to the fuel pump problems I had on my '99.

That is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I would accept the fact that 3-5 seconds is normal, if that was the way it always was, but it used to start right up.

If I remember correctly my issue started the exact same way. Then it progressed to where I was having to let in crank for 10 seconds, stop, then crank for another 5 seconds. Finally there was even a third and fourth round of cranking before it would start.

Back