• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux/Extra Fan

96xjwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i have a 96 XJ with the dual fan system (?) i was wondering if anyone on here has done an extra fan conversion or anything, my jeep tends to overheat on long trips down the freeway and i dont know if its cause the gears are not that good or if its cause the engine just overheats easily. I was thinking about doing a extra fan that i can control and put a switch on. If anyone has done this let me know please
Matt

See my site on converting to twin electrics ( www.go.jeep-xj.info ) but sounds like you just need to refresh your cooling system. Could be as simple as replacing the clutch on your mechnical fan or replacing the radiator. How old is it?

tends to overheat on long trips down the freeway
=================================
You don't need or use fans at freeway speeds.
Look for a bad/clogged rad, It's about time for a rad to go bad on a 96. Flush the HE&& out of it. If your done in 15 min you wasted that time. Power flush the heater. Then flush the rad again.
Then pull the rad. All this flushing was to clean the block out. You flush a rad to KEEP it from getting clogged. Once a rad is clogged you almost never get them unclogged
If fins at bottom of rad pull out easy it's new rad time. If tons of rust came out when flushing it new rad time maybe new heater time. If you have used more then 2 cans of "stop leak" it's new rad/heater time.
If when pulling the rad if you find the cardboard you put in front of the rad last winter and forgot about it. Retest rad and never post here again;)

The cardboard thing, Been there, didit.:)

Last edited:
The ultimate XJ overheating fix...

New radiator / new fan clutch / aux tranny cooler to eliminate the one in the radiator.

Any one of these helps, but together they greatly reduce engine heat. Now mine runs cool on road and off. It runs even cooler with the AC on max because the stock electric fan stays on.

I agree with all the above - and will put in my own BTDT.
I just installed a taurus fan and I can turn it off from inside the cab. from just playing around I found that my jeep will maintain around 100 C (I'm Canadian, eh?) driving on fairly level roads without any fan on at all (and this is with an ac condensor in front of the rad), so going down the freeway you should have no cooling issues at all....
there is something wrong with your cooling system and adding another cooling fan won't fix it. since it is overheating at freeway speeds, I would suspect coolant flow restriction of some sort, rather than a bad fan clutch

Back