• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can u attach a winch to a stock xj front bumper?

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
I really need to get a winch cause i always tend to go 4x4ing alone..I found one and am curious if i can unstall it on a stock bumper? between the fog lights?

how do i do this?

thanks

You need to do a bunch more searching and reading on here about bumpers of XJs. First they are just thin tin for the bumper itself. Second the mounting brackets are short and weak.

Do some searches on : front bumpers, bumper brackets, etc. Pretty much either buy a winch bumper with proper mounting or build one. Judging by your question ................... buy one.!!!1

blazinjames said:
can u attach a winch to a stock xj front bumper?
Only if it is a stock XJ winch and you have all the factory hardware which I doubt you have since the factory setup is very, very rare.
They were only available on the earlier XJs. Check your Renix era owners manual, it's in there.

xjwinchoem.jpg

Muddy89XJ said:
You can attack anything to a stock XJ bumper, i didnt say itll hold tho ;)

If you wanna keep the stock look go for the backbone system

Yep, I went with the backbone to keep the weight down. It's the lightest way I've found to mount a winch. (Other than a receiver hitch.)

i was gonna buy a hidden winch mount for the jeep from someone on the board dunno if he still has it not, try pming fitchva he was gonna sell it to me

X-2 on the Detours Backbone. Everything they make is good quality.

Back