• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cardboard on underside of a 98 XJ

GScott

NAXJA Forum User
The cardboard like sheet under the front of the engine.

What is this for? After 150,000 miles, the stuff has turned limp I had to remove it due to flapping and fan clearance. Anyone know what the original reason for this on the XJ? Should I go to the dealer and get a new one?

GScott said:
The cardboard like sheet under the front of the engine.

What is this for? After 150,000 miles, the stuff has turned limp I had to remove it due to flapping and fan clearance. Anyone know what the original reason for this on the XJ? Should I go to the dealer and get a new one?
It is a splash shield to keep water and such out of the engine compartment and especially the alternator. I have 2 XJs and 1 MJ that I've been running for as long as I've owned them without the shields. Mine have all been either soaked with water or oil too many times. The general consensus here is get rid of it.

RenixPower said:
The general consensus here is get rid of it.
Not necessarily so. Here is a quote from this post and that I have found more true than not. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=844412#post844412

langer1 said:
I am sure It can cause the problem your having or at the very least Add to it.
That little narrow opening where the air goes in needs all the help you can give it.
With the front down just a little and the shields in place you create a vacuum under the front that helps pull air through the radiator.
With the front up and the shield missing your create high pressure under the front that the fans must overcome.
Get it level or slightly nose down first, make sure you still have the spoiler and the rubber under the radiator.

I got a replacement from one of the dealers that sell parts online for a discount for about $25 if I remember correctly. Your local dealer will likely charge more.

Back