• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeeper in Carbondale, IL needs HELP with his XJ

96Yeepster

NAXJA Forum User
I have tried all I can think of, I have worked on other cars for a long time but this damned jeep is giving me fits.
Pulled the engine a few weeks ago to replace bearings. This is what I did...
Replaced bearings main and rod
Installed cam Crane 264/274
Deglazed cyl walls
New rings
New timing chain

Now I put back togeather and install and after realizing the dizzy was 180 out I reset that.
Now is the new issues I need some help with...
WHEN it runs (requires part throttle to start and still sometimes won't) it jumps to 2K for idle and then starts spitting/sputtering.
Also I know the timing is still off, if not for the ever growing black puddle under the tail pipe, the new manifold gets VERY hot VERY fast, like cherry in 2 minutes. That tells me that unburned fuel is lighting up in there.

I have attempted to reset this damn dizzy according to the Haynes (I know it is junk, I do not have the cash for a FSM now) and I am sure it is leaving some bit of info out that I need...

96Yeepster said:
the new manifold gets VERY hot VERY fast, like cherry in 2 minutes. That tells me that unburned fuel is lighting up in there..

WRONG. It means you are running way too lean. You most likely have an intake/exhaust manifold leak.

If it is an intake leak you can use the propane test, but be REAL careful if you've never done it. Use a propane torch, BUT DON'T LIGHT IT!!!!!, and start up the engine and turn the torch on about half way. Then point it around the intake port head to manifold areas. If the motor smooths out and starts running better you've found the leak. You might also check around the base of the throttle body etc. and make sure all vacuum hoses are ok and connected, of course. Good Luck!

Ok well found part of the problem, and got the distributor set dead on. So now it cranks over and fires right up. No miss, no hesitation at all.

But it has a helacious idle like 3K which says vac leak.

Back