• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FREE STUFF!!!

Kyle Petterson

NAXJA Forum User
And by free stuff I mean "free opportunity to help me out". YAY!

Alright, since I rebuilt my engine I've had 2 crank sensors get beat up. Both about a week and a half and 100-150 miles after install. Neither installed by me. I installed the 3rd one about 2 weeks and 240 miles ago. I'm not asking how long I should wait, I'm asking: How long would you wait before you felt that the problem was solved?

Define....beat up.

It's being done on a lift and both times, after about 120 miles, the jeep would start running terrible suddenly. I would get it back to the shop, pull the sensor, and it would look like it was attacked with a knife. But what's strange is A: the miles until it happened and B: the fact that the cuts/gouges didn't all follow the same line. Some would go across the magnet, some would go at angles.

Was the first one to get beat up the original?
Only thing that would make sense to me is upon re-assembling everything you replaced the original with some incorrect cross, and repeated with another.
Or, something is hanging on the flex plate that is spinning around and attacking the sensors.

pull off the inspection plate on he bottom of the bellhousing and see if there is a loose nut or something flying around in there that randomly hits the CPS as it flys around.. another thought i have is that i've seen critters like mice move into some pretty unusual places on a vehicle and they chew on EVERYTHING they can get near. might be taking him a few days to chew it enough to affect its performance. might be pretty unlikely but you just never know.

Pulled the cover and everything is tight, nothing loose hanging around. No critters either. It seems as though I've fixed it, my question is at what point (mileage or time) would you feel comfortable with it, not knowing for certain what caused it.

Back