• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drum Brake Replacement Question

Quills

NAXJA Forum User
I went cheap and for all under 100 dollars went down to Autozone and got new self adjuster kits, drums, pads, and springs. When I went to put on my new drum over the new pads on one of the sides I practically had to kick the drum about 20 times to get it over the pads and to slide all of the way into position over the lugs. Anybody know why this happened?

Did you try "setting" the length of the adj.? Also, did the new drums match the old, did the shoes match the old? Reason for asking: there are 2 styles of drums and shoes for the D-35, and the D-44 parts are somewhat close and sometimes sold by the parts houses by mistake for the wrong axle.

The first things that come to mind are:

Park Brake either "frozen" or in "ON" position.

Failure to run self-adjuster screw all the way inward.

That's assuming you've gotten the right parts - I don't recall the brake size difference offhand between the D44 and D35, but I'm inclined to think the D44 brakes are larger enough that you'd see the difference offhand (but I'd have to check...)

did the other side go on 'real' easy?

If so, you may have put both of the short shoes on one side and both long shoes on the other side.

The frontward shoe is the smaller and the rearward shoe is the longer one.

So there are different sized brake drum pads in the set when you buy them?
I bought a duralast set and all drum pads seemed exactly the same and there was no identification for any smaller and larger pads.

Quills said:
So there are different sized brake drum pads in the set when you buy them?
I bought a duralast set and all drum pads seemed exactly the same and there was no identification for any smaller and larger pads.
yes. though if I didn't know that beforehand, I bet I would have just slapped them on. looking back it was pretty obvious there were different sizes but I don't remember it exactly jumping out at me.

Can't think of its proper name, however the 3 - 4" flat metal plate that sits between the 2 pads? Mine was a little cockeyed, it wasn't seated properly. This caused one of the pads to stick out a little to far thus the drum didn't want to go on.

Back