• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring differences between '84XJ and '88MJ

Chili Palmer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is my last shot here, I've posted a few questions about my new XJ and MJ but I need to figure out what I'm going to do so any help would be appreciated...

I've got an '88 MJ that's got a blown 2.5L and an '84 XJ with a decent 2.8L V6 (yeah I know - but if I use the V6 in the MJ for my son then I can convert the MJ to 4x4 and go buy the good stuff for the XJ!).

One issue I have is the XJ is completely gutted on the interior, I bought it this way to make a dedicated trail rig and there is no dash, there are only 6-7 wires total on the inside, just enough to make it run. So what am I up against by swapping this motor over to the MJ? New ECU (or whatever they're called), different wiring harness's, etc. Also, I know the 2.8L is carb'd while the 2.5L is TBI - what issues here.

I need some MJ/XJ expertise here...thanks!

I've also been told to just go get an XJ (Or MJ) with a 4.0 that's been wrecked but that's out of the question at this point because 1) I don't have the space and 2) Don't really have the extra cash right now.

The alternative is to take the parts I need off the MJ and then part it out but it really is in good shape and I would like to get it going. Thanks again.

I agree on the "get a XJ/MJ with a 4.0" crowd. the 2.8 is not a good engine from what I have heard. You could probably find a decent 2.5 engine in a junk yard somewhere and just replace the blown one. Thats what I would do, especially if my son was getting to drive it!!

MJ's are not very common anymore, I would sink some money into it. But then again, I like MJ's!!

Back