• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Linkage Start

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing all of my steering linkage and the dampner. What is the best place to start? And does anyone have any pointers on what not to do or what to do? I havent ever done the whole thing at once before. Thanks in Advance!
Zan:read:

make sure you have a torch and a BFH...you're going to need both frequently with the tapered fittings. An impact gun would also be very nice to have. Its a pretty straight forward task, just take your time and watch your head...I wack mine everytime I do it... There's a guy on ebay who sells a complete steering kit for like $150 shipped, which is much cheaper than buying hte parts separately at your local parts store... When you grease the fittings I'd use a high quality/marine grade grease...its gonna get wet so use the good stuff now...or do it over again later.. Unless you're damn good you'll need an alignment afterwards...

Cool I was wondering about the grease, I was just going to aliogn it using the roll foward measure roll back measure method. Should I notice any difference with the new dampner?

depends how shot your old on was... If its the oem components the difference in response, bump steer, and front end "wobble" will be like night and day...

Ok any tips on getting the dam end out of the pitman arm with out taking the pitman arm off?

You don't need a torch to do anything with your steering!!!!

Get a pickle fork and use about a five pound sledge. Put the front end up on jackstands and remove both wheels, then take your time and take it all apart. Then replace with new. Check GoJeep's home page for instructions on alignment.

Remember....NO TORCH!!! use your head and patience. Remove the cottor pins, then the castle nuts, then put the pickle fork in place and whack it with your hammer (several times and the joint will just pop lose).
Good Luck!

Jess said:
You don't need a torch to do anything with your steering!!!!

Get a pickle fork and use about a five pound sledge. Put the front end up on jackstands and remove both wheels, then take your time and take it all apart. Then replace with new. Check GoJeep's home page for instructions on alignment.

Remember....NO TORCH!!! use your head and patience. Remove the cottor pins, then the castle nuts, then put the pickle fork in place and whack it with your hammer (several times and the joint will just pop lose).
Good Luck!

X2...what would you need a torch for? I'm getting ready to replace my steering with Curries unit next week. If you're replacing the entire steering system, like me, then I'd remove the whole thing and then set up the new stuff after taking measurements. I have to drive about 25 miles to get to the nearest alignment place though so thatr's why I'll try and get it close.

I just replaced the stabilizer on my wifes 2001 with a BB. The stabilizer was utterly destroyed. I could push it in with almost no resistance. I noticed no difference with the new one. Not saying you don't need the stabilizer (that horse gets beat enough here). I'm just saying that I'm not sure one can tell you there will be a night and day difference with a new stabilizer. I'd imagine you'd take care of much more with new steering components.

When removing the tie rod end of the drag link from the pitman arm...hit the side of the pitman arm. Might take a bit but I've heard it's a 50 50 shot if it comes off easy or gives you hell.

pitmanarm26.JPG

advance, autozone, napa, get one

Back