• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old question regarding tire sizes

BC-Handler

NAXJA Forum User
Like another gentleman said, "Don't Kill Me". I'm sure this has been asked many times before.

I have a '99 Sport that is in the process of having the OME 2.5" (or 3", depending on who you ask) H-D lift kit installed.

I have a set of Grizzly wheels, 15 x 7".

My off-roading is mostly done on forest roads with softball-sized stones or sand. No extreme rock crawling.

Given those parameters, would I be happier with 30- or 31-inch tires? I'd prefer not to cut fenders if I didn't have to.

Thanks;
-BC-Handler, Search and Rescue XJ

BC-Handler said:
Like another gentleman said, "Don't Kill Me". I'm sure this has been asked many times before.

I have a '99 Sport that is in the process of having the OME 2.5" (or 3", depending on who you ask) H-D lift kit installed.

I have a set of Grizzly wheels, 15 x 7".

My off-roading is mostly done on forest roads with softball-sized stones or sand. No extreme rock crawling.

Given those parameters, would I be happier with 30- or 31-inch tires? I'd prefer not to cut fenders if I didn't have to.

Thanks;
-BC-Handler, Search and Rescue XJ

Well, most are going to jump out and say 31s. However, I have a few questions before I answer anything:

Which Tire exactly? As not all 31s are really 31" (same for 30s)
Planning on re-gearing?
Fuel mileage an issue?
Bumpstops?

As far as tires go... I run a 4.5" lift, 31" all-terrains and have no problems with forest roads. I think it will depend more on the condition of the road you take rather than size in your case since you said it would be more stones and sand. The only problem i've faced with the tires I have now is steep upgrades with loose dirt. 31's will give you a tad more clearance for your axles but going over sand and small rocks you shouldn't have a problem... If you're going to wheel in rainy,snowy, sandy you'll want a tire that can grab the ground more. So personally I would look more into tread than size in your case since you wont be doing anything 'hardcore' and wont be needed high clearance. I dunno though... I'm the type to go exploring down forest roads and up hills... Nothing too extreme. My tires work just fine.

RCman said:
Well, most are going to jump out and say 31s. However, I have a few questions before I answer anything:

Which Tire exactly? As not all 31s are really 31" (same for 30s)
Planning on re-gearing?
Fuel mileage an issue?
Bumpstops?

Well, I was hoping to settle the 30 vs. 31 before deciding!:laugh3:

Thinking of Kuhmo Road Venture MT KL71 -- not available in 30-inch; or Yokahama Geolander M/T+ -- available in 30 or 31.

Stock gearing is 3.55. I'd like to go 4.11, but I only have a D35 in back (thanks to ABS), so I don't want to throw money at a sow. I'll wait until I upgrade the axle before regearing.

I know it's heresy, but fuel mileage isn't that much of an issue.

I might do the hockey-puck mod if I determine I'm using too much bump stop.

I would go with the 31's as i think the 30's will look small on the lift. I have a set of 30's on mine and a bb boost and it is a nice fit

Back