• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front speaker wiring?

BC-Handler

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased my first XJ (1999 Sport) from a soccer mom and pop who have owned it since new. The previous owner had installed some kind of aftermarket AM/FM/CD/MP3 player that I can definitly say fit into the catagory of "Tokyo-By-Night" with it's constantly moving display. It had to go, and thankfully he still had the OEM radio/Cassette.
So anyway, with the flashy radio installed the front two speakers didn't work. He lead me to believe it happened when he installed the new player. I unplugged the new and plugged in the old -- and the front speakers still didn't work.
While troubleshooting I checked my Haynes manual (terrible schematics) and if says all the audio outputs go to an "amplifier" before connecting to the speakers, but they don't say where that amp is located!
Can anybody verify that the amp really exists, and where it can be found?
I'm hoping one of the former owner's kids just kicked a connector under the dash..:rattle:
Thanks;
BC-Handler

I'm no audio expert but i've manage to install a couple aftermarket stereos in my Chief, some subs and an amp or two. I wasn't aware that Cherokees came with an amp for the stereo though... I thought it was the Grand Cherokees that came with them as a package option. However, if the previous owner put in an amp as well he very well could have directed the front speakers directly to the aftermarket amp to get full useage of the speakers... At least that's what I've done to mine.

Check the back of the aftermarket stereo he put in.. There should be two slots for RCA cables that go from the head unit to the amp... The way I have mine set up.... RCA cables from the HU to the amp, both front speakers and rear hatch speaker wires go directly to the amp. The only thing coming out of my head unit is the RCA cables, remote turn on wire for the amp, and the black, yellow and red wires hooked to the aftermarket stereo harness.

Did you check to see if the wires are still connect to both speaker + -? Sometimes they can get loose... if there was an amp somewhere i'd check under the rear seat or the two back side panels... those are the most common places people put amps in Cherokees... but I dunno if they came stock at all. I hope this helps... I prefer to have an aftermarket amp with speakers hooked directly to the amp... better sound imo :pirate1:

Thanks for the input, Bdiddy;

I was not aware of an amp, either, until I saw it in the Haynes manual audio schematic! I'm just going by that.:read:

There is two multi-pin harness plugs with power, antenna power feed, lighting, constant power for the clock, 4 speaker (+) wires, 4 speaker (-) wires; that fit into two sockets in the back of the radio. Even the stock radio has the 4 RCA pre-amp plugs, but there is nothing attached to them. Both front door speakers are dead (suspect why both), but I pulled the door panel off of one side and the wires were still connected. Just no noise.:confused:

Next step is to remove the plugs from the radio and scratch a AA battery across two of the front speaker wires and see if I get static.

yeah, there is no stock amp that the speakers run through. The problem definately lies in the wiring. My buddy has a 4-door and the speakers in the doors have a connection inside the doors that got a little mudy and they became a little fussy. That might be the problem or maybe the feed wire to one of the speakers is grounding itself due to a loose connection. I'd check all the wiring to the speaker in the door then take the stereo out and check the wiring in that and make sure all the connections are tight.

Yes some Cherokees have an amp. If it have the Infinity sound system then you have an amp. It is located under the rear seat on the drivers side.

It is common for the Cherokees to develop front speaker problems. What happens is the wire in the door molex (rubber boot to the door) develops an open from the flexing. The fix is to replace the speaker wiring that runs though that molex. Not a complicated job just a PIA 'cause there isn't much room to work there.

If you are going to do your own maintaince on your Jeep then get a Factory Service Manual. Those Haynes manuals aren't worth the paper there printed on.

Thanks, ScoobyXJ. I was hoping someone would jump in and say, "Oh, yeah. That's a common problem with Cherokees...":yelclap:

Is that Molex plug on the cowl side of the rubber boot, or inside the door?

There is no amp on the floor under the rear seat. I know because I took the seat bottom out. Something about a chocolate stain....
Under the seat was at least two boxes of Cheerios, numerous stickers, hairbands, etc.

Back