• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stalling on turns

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
I think i have narrowed my engine problems, (studdering on acceleration, rough idel) to my fuel system because when im low on gas and i go around a turn the jeep just loses power for a second or two then picks back up, it dosnt ever die just cuts out, what could be causing this, iv ran fuel pressure test when ideling and its good. 98 4.0 aw4

Probably just fuel sloshing around in the tank, and the pump pickup isn't able to suck in enough fuel?

I heard it's not good to do that often since the fuel pump will be starved of the lubrication of the fuel, although it is still running without sucking much or any in.

So don't make a habit of trying to test this. There might be a factory service bulletin for this. Mine does it (95) when the tank is VERY low. I know some later XJ's had problems when there shouldn't have been, though.

I've had this happen on my '99 a few times. It's always the same turn on my way to drop off my daughter to school early morning. It's a 90 degree turn to the left with a 10 degree downgrade. Only happens with 1/8th of a tank or less.

Ya, agreed. I should keep it above a 1/4 tank. The realities of life however...3 kids with lots of extracurricular activities needing taxi service don't always make this practical. In my opinion There's a design problem with tank and/or fuel pump that starts to choke with 1/8 of a tank. I've driven lots of different cars over the last 30 years and never ever had one choke with an 1/8th of a tank until the '99 XJ. In fact, back in the good old days of $.60/gallon and collecting gas money from you buddies it was rare to have more than 1/8 of a tank.

there is a post on this exact thing
the baffles come lose in the tank (apparently) and let the fuel slosh around way too much
try searching i think its in modified tech for some reason

only thread i found regarding my problem to the T.i pulled my pump, everything looked fine until i reached in the tank and felt around for baffles...none to be found, but i did find a extension and screen for the bottom of the pump!Put it in its slotted position, and looked at it up right infront of the tank, and it makes sense, if you can imagine where the pump sits in the tank, its kind of high and forward, this screen in angled down and when installed in the right spot(theres a slot it fits) it goes directly to the bottom middle of tank, in a little valley(dont know what else to call it) tested out my truck, fuel light was on, and drove up the road to my house,a very steady incline, with lots of winding turn, the truck pulled with out hesitation through every one.Problem solved!!!!! at least for me anyway, just thought id share.

I would worry a lot more about what you're doing to the fuel pump. When the in-tank pump sucks air, the RPM's go way up. The bearings (bushings) are dry and get damaged. Ford pick-up trucks are known for this problem because they have 2 fuel tanks with in-tank pumps. People run the first tank dry and flip to the other tank and keep going as a matter of (bad) habit. So the pumps fail earlier than they should.

Back