• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on head..

FIRE CAT

NAXJA Member #1243
I have a friend that has a 4.0 Jeep head that was traded to him for some nice wheels...now it is compleatly rebuilt. I may buy it from him for a very good price but what I want to ask you experts is the casting is...# 2688 Now how good of a head is it I have a 98 Xj...will this head be better or worse than what I have now ..thanx guys

hey i dont really know the casting #'s, but if u do a search you can defenetlly find them here. ive seen them but i dont remember were, i'll give a quick search and if i find them ill post u were.

I don't recall a #2688 head - there was, however, a #2686 head.

#2686 - 1987-1990 AMC 242ci inline six (A/K/A "RENIX.") First-generation cylinder head for AMC242, noted for having the inlet and exhuast ports on a common line (they were raised ~5/8" later to improve intake breathing and airflow.)

All AMC242 cylinder heads will interchange with all blocks, but there is a dividing line at 1990/1991 for the intake manifold (due to ports being raised, as I'd just mentioned.) Any AMC242 cylinder head will also fit on a later "Wide Deck" AMC258 engine block (1975 and later, I think,) which will both improve compression and breathing. Make sure you have casting #2685 on your 258 before you try this.

Special screws or bushings may be required - the AMC258 used 7/16" cylinder head screws, while the AMC242 uses 1/2" screws.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?

see i told u, these guys know everything, i though i knew about xj's but compared to these guys, well lets say i just dont know alot.

OK...5-90 Lets make it simple..I own a 98 XJ will this 2686 head make my XJ run bettter or worse...what say ye????

FIRE CAT said:
OK...5-90 Lets make it simple..I own a 98 XJ will this 2686 head make my XJ run bettter or worse...what say ye????

It will not. The #2686 head does not breathe as well as the later heads, and you'd have to swap intakes and adapt the throttle body to the RENIX intake anyhow.

Stick with the #0630 head - it won't be worth the trouble to swap.

Back