• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump installation???????

XJ_99

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search and did not come up with anything all i need to know is is it hard to change the fuel pump......do i have to drop the tank?

The pump itself isn't hard to replace, but you will have to drop the tank to do it. Unplug the pump and remove the lines (make sure to take note which one goes where for reinstallation) There are just four nuts to loosen to drop the tank but you will have to unhook the vent and filler hoses . There is a large ring that holds the pump in place. I just us a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to loosen it. It will be obvious when you see it. If there isn't much gas in the tank, its pretty easy.

Uglygreenxj said:
The pump itself isn't hard to replace, but you will have to drop the tank to do it. Unplug the pump and remove the lines (make sure to take note which one goes where for reinstallation) There are just four nuts to loosen to drop the tank but you will have to unhook the vent and filler hoses . There is a large ring that holds the pump in place. I just us a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to loosen it. It will be obvious when you see it. If there isn't much gas in the tank, its pretty easy.

Owing to the possibility of sparks if it slips, it's really a good idea to use brass or aluminum, or even plastic, for this part. More so if the reason you're doing it is a leaky tank.

If your Jeep is getting older, and if you live in the rust belt, you can pretty well expect to shear off the hanger bolts, so either have a couple of new ones on hand, or be prepared to fab up a set.

I have a 91 and it looks like the assembly sits in the front of the tank?

I have had the same question for years - i have a '96, which is supposed to be the first year for the IN tank pump..

however, mine looks like it is also in the FRONT of the tank..what gives?

XJ_99 said:
I have a 91 and it looks like the assembly sits in the front of the tank?
Because of the use of 99 in your sig line,it was reasoned that you had a 99XJ.That is why it is best to describe EXACTLY what year XJ you are working on.
On your 91 is is not necessary to drop the tank to replace the pump.It should pull out of the front of the tank after removal of the lock ring,hoses and wires.
Wayne

seems to me that the years 84-90 have the pump in front of the tank. I have the same thing. but i have to get a whole new mount because gas is leaking out of the electrical.

Hey Wayne thanx for the info ............Yeah i know puttin 99 in my name throws people off its just a thing of mine im a big Gretzky fan........:dunno:

bacelaw said:
I have had the same question for years - i have a '96, which is supposed to be the first year for the IN tank pump..

however, mine looks like it is also in the FRONT of the tank..what gives?

I think 96 is a transition year, and have heard of both the early and late tanks in this year. My son's 96 has the earlier type tank used from 87 on - metal, with the pump inside, but accessible from the front of the tank. The later one is plastic, and requires the tank out. But both have the pump inside the tank.

Back