• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To flowkool or not to flowkool

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to revamp my whole cooling system and this is what I have so far. CSF 3 row radiator 180 high flow stat and a couple of returned water pumps. The first thing I tried was the napa performance pump and the plate on the impeller was broken. It was spot welded and all of the welds broke so I didn't want to go that route. I ordered a flowkooler from quadratec and it was the wrong one so thats on its way back. I"m getting pissed and I want this done, so do I order directly from flowkooler or just get a stock replacement and call it a day. I don't mind spending the extra if it is worth it

Do the Hesco pump or stay stock. Apparently the flowcooler is just like a stock pump with the plate coverering the impeller. you can buy the plate from Summit for $5 and put it on the stock pump if you want. The hesco is has a completely different impeller that gobbles more liquid and has a plate.

IMO i'd stay with a 195 t-stat.

Hesco

I installed a Flowcooler when I converted to an open system and I think Hesco is a better product. I didn't know they made a waterpump for XJ's when I replaced mine. The Hesco is more money, but it's a better product. Good Luck

Woody

Hesco, I was hesitant at first but not when I got it. Much better quality then an over the counter unit and service was top notch.

Cat pep doesn't have any 4.0 listings?

I think the catpep is the one. Flowkooler says it doubles the flow, while the hesco says about 20 percent. The hesco looks to be a better design and a more accurate rating on output but I could go through about 4 or 5 pumps before I get to the price of the hesco and I don't see that happening. thanks for the replies.

boomhauer said:
IMO i'd stay with a 195 t-stat.
2X
You vehicle won't run any cooler with a 180 t-stat.
It'll just take a little longer to get to right operating temp.

boomhauer said:
That looks sweet! Wasn't planning on switching my pump, but i am now. Thx.:callme:

How can you say that looks "sweet"? there is no picture of the impeller design?!?!

CRASH said:
How can you say that looks "sweet"? there is no picture of the impeller design?!?!

me like shiny things. It looks sweet because of the price and description given, is that ok with you Crash? I agree a shot of the impeller would be nice, but lighten up man. Why are you always lookin to butt heads?

Yea CRASH, don't such a hater.:D
This is the new kinder, gentler naxja.

Altogether now, "Kum bay ya, my Lord, Kum bay ya..."

boomhauer said:
me like shiny things. It looks sweet because of the price and description given, is that ok with you Crash? I agree a shot of the impeller would be nice, but lighten up man. Why are you always lookin to butt heads?

So, you consider "shiny-ness" to be the #1 consideration when purchasing a water pump? Hmmmm.

I only "butt heads" when the sillyness reaches a certain level. People jumping on the latest band wagon just because someone posted a link is that kind of sillyness.

Does the 195 degree oem thermostat restrict flow, and if it does, is there a good aftermarket t-stat that is worth looking at? Seems silly to put on a high flow water pump if the t-stat won't allow more flow.

yeah the hesco is the price of a couple pumps but I replaced 3 water pumps in 1.5 yrs and got a bit sick of it. It's been 3 or 4 since I put the hesco in and no problems, peace of mind and not have to replace crap every few months is worth the money.

CRASH said:
So, you consider "shiny-ness" to be the #1 consideration when purchasing a water pump? Hmmmm.

I only "butt heads" when the sillyness reaches a certain level. People jumping on the latest band wagon just because someone posted a link is that kind of sillyness.

The "shiny" comment was a joke Crash. :moon:

Ok so i am about to replace my water pump as well and having searched i am not totally confused.

1. replace with stock water pump, but where to buy one that is actually new and not a core exchanged one?

2. buy the Hesco pump for $150?

any thoughts....

kid4lyf said:
2X
You vehicle won't run any cooler with a 180 t-stat.
It'll just take a little longer to get to right operating temp.

i run a 180* and my rig runs alot cooler
so i question what makes you say that

Back