• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need feedback on the swamper LTB

wdyer14

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking around and right now I'm thinking that a set of swampers is the way to go.The only problem I have is my Jeep is a DD and I have no experience with a bias ply tire.I've heard that they tend to ride a little worse than radials and they wear out faster,but is this a major differance or a minor one with routine rotations?
I would just stick with my BFG AT's but when I get offroad they just gum up to fast for me,and the 265/75/16 that I run rubs at flex so the 31x11.50 16 is a little smaller according to the actual website dimensions and the price is great also $113 each

any info is welcome .

wdyer14 said:
I've been looking around and right now I'm thinking that a set of swampers is the way to go.The only problem I have is my Jeep is a DD and I have no experience with a bias ply tire.I've heard that they tend to ride a little worse than radials and they wear out faster,but is this a major differance or a minor one with routine rotations?
I would just stick with my BFG AT's but when I get offroad they just gum up to fast for me,and the 265/75/16 that I run rubs at flex so the 31x11.50 16 is a little smaller according to the actual website dimensions and the price is great also $113 each

any info is welcome .
If it is your DD, I personally would not get swampers. I've got 34x9.50s on my MJ, the ride isn't bad but the noise, especially at highway speeds will pop your ears constantly, or it does mine anyway. I know some people like the noise and I do too at lower speeds around town and such, just not on the highway. Now if you're looking for wear, swampers do pretty well, one of my buddies has compared them to iron once or twice. $113 a piece is one hell of a price on them too. Hope some of this helped with your decision.
-Collin

They will tend to flat spot if they sit in one place, especially if it's cold...but they do warm up eventually....but they are tough and they work great in mud...and they do sing like Collin said....some find it offensive some like the noise....And tire wear isn't too bad....driving style and vehicle condition plays a large part in tire wear....i'm assuming you are talking about TSL bias....LTB tires are soft compound....sort of a poor man's Bogger.

If you plan on a lot of street Driving the LTB isnt a good choice. I run the LTB on My trail Jeep. It is probably one of the best mud/trail tires on the market, but dont were well on the street.

I have kinda been daily driving my Q78 TSLs for a little while, not that that's what they're intended for...but out of necessity. It's not my choice for DD, and I won't do it forever, but they're alright.

On the highway, it's loud. People hear you coming everywhere. But offroad, they can't be beat. I've probably only put about 3k street miles on them, and they are not very worn down at all. That being said, just driving street miles with them I wouldn't expect anything more than like 20k out of em.

For daily driving, I'd go with the truxus MT. It's like kinda the AT of the super swampers. Pretty good offroad, and not too shabby on the street either. A decent all around tire. LTBs are nasty offroad, but they have larger void space than TSLs and the lugs are smaller....I doubt they'd last long on the road. It would be a shame to buy the tires just to wear them out quickly driving around on the street.

Yeah sorry I guess I was talking about TSLs, I just assumed thats what you were talking about when I saw "Swamper".

goodburbon said:
dont forget that in the 16 inch rim flavor there is the new swamper IROK ND

loud but not as loud as LTB, Load range E rating.

Forgot to mention they are steel belted radial. I've got the Wife on a set DDing locked front and rear, we'll see how they wear. She's about 5000 miles in with the only noticable wear being rock rash.

They are more aggressive than the Trxus MT, i'm just waiting to see how long they last, because they are a much larger void tire.

ltb's best small tire i ever bought, i had mine as a dd and it wasn't that bad... balance them, and your straight, flat spots aren't even that bad, they mellow out once they get warm... if you are even worried at gettting a long time on your swampers, don't bother, they are a soft tire, and will wear no matter what... good tire, terrible sizing.... awsome in the mud...

Why not keep your at's for dding and slap the meats on for the mud?Thats what I do.I have ltb's and as mentioned above the pavement eats them alive as a dding tire thats why I got bfg at's for the street...
waste of money for dding,they are meant for the trail....

Man I wish I had a honda so I could leave the meats on.My jeep looks like a skate board with stock size at's and a 6" lift!!!
Bottom line:The only other tire I would consider for the trail is a bogger.I love ltb's in the goo,they dig like a d-9 dozer!!

I have to admit I miss the growl...music to my ears!!

I ran 34X10.5s on my locked TJ. They flat spot in a few hours, and SUCK in the rain. They dig you down to the bottom of whatever your in. I liked my TSL radials better ;)

ltbs are a great tire. I love mine, wish they made em bigger. However, I would not DD on them. Mine dont have a lot of road miles on them and I can see noticeable wear. I have a second set of street tires for when I do pound pavement. On beadlocks airsoft balanced they ride good up to 60-65

something between 34 and 47 was what i was going for, nice thread bump too.

They are coming out with a 35 and a 40, got 42" tsl's right before they said the 40s were coming out, wish i had waited.

Back