• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Condition Compressor makes noise

sbilbrey

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0, 135K miles.

Air conditioning works great. But, sometimes if you leave the AC on, when you first start it the compressor makes a sound like a belt slipping. If you shut it off, it goes away immediately. If you let the car run for a minute then turn it on, no issue.

My question is, does this mean the compressor is getting ready to fail? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

I've have a similar problem with my 98, I just replaced the compressor with a used one after the other ones bearings froze up on me. I charged it but havent oiled it. I think there is oil that mixes with the refridgerant, maybe that will help the noise. It only does it when the compressor first engages. Is their any A/C guys out there that could give us some advice?

I had the same problem with my '99. The belt had trouble "catching" up to the compressor when started for the first time. When it was running or warm it wasn't an issue. I tightened the belt and it quit squealing. Hope that helps.

And if the belt adjustment doesn't work, then the symptoms point to a failing AC Clutch. It squeals because it's not fully engaging......

Ivan

Back