• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Spawn 93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I recently installed a 4.5" rusty's lift on my 87 pioneer xj. I am running 32" buckshots with no mods to axles, engine, tranny, or t-case. I just got back from my first excursion in the rig since the lift, and there are a couple of issues at hand. I sure hope ya'll can help! First question, I high centered on the rear diff, and my front wheels would not dig to pull me off the rock. The drive shaft was spinning, observed by my understanding wife who was praying it wouldn't tip from outside the truck. Later, I was on a hillclimb and I looked out the window and the d/s front was spinning up the hill. AUGH! Next question, which may be easier, on the drive home, whenever I mashed the gas to pass or go up a hill, the beast would sputter and try to die then backfire. It does not do this in neutral or park, what's the deal. I have not had a chance to check anything yet, not till daylight tomorrow any ways.

Thanks again,
Brian

Front shaft spinning? Was one front tire spinning also?
Sputtering? How's your cat. (not pussy) that caused similar problems in my 87'. Disconnect at the manifold cat probably rusted on.

Looks like you have two issues that are unrelated. The first is the front wheels not pulling. If I understand you correctly, you were in 4wheel drive, trying to pull yourself off of a rock. You stated the front drive shaft was turning. My question is was either of your front tires turning? If your front differential is not locked with an after market locker, and one tire spins, all the power will go to that tire, and the other tire will not turn. Your wife would had to halve observed both tires to determine if one or both weren't turning. Also, if you have a disconnect front axle, it's possible the axle was disconnected; in that case, neither front tire would be engaged. The second problem could be a lot of things. The simplest would be a clogged fuel filter, bad plugs, plug wires, distributor, or a wet ignition system (you drive through anything wet and deep?). Beyond that, more input would be required to allow an educated guess.

The wheels were not spinning (either one) when the shaft was while I was on the rock. I don't have after market lockers or anything, so I guess I should invest more money! I did not go through anything deep, I only hit a crik that was about 6 inches deep and then a few puddles on the fire roads. The Jeep has not had new plugs, wires, air filter, or anything else changed on it since I bought it a year + ago. I guess this has led to some of the problems with respiration, but the theory I have on the axle is that there may be a vaccum line loose or clogged. Any other suggestions??

Thanks so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll: :roll: :roflmao:

Most likely a broken or cracked vacuum line between the vacuum switch on the transfer case and the vacuum motor assembly on the axle housing.

Sorry fellas, I haven't been in town for the last two days. Where is the shift fork located? I will have plenty of time to check this problem tomorrow. Any other suggestions for the backfiring and loss of power on hills during highway driving?

Thanks loads,
Brian

Check the vacuum lines first. They are plastic multicolored lines running from the front axle up into the engine compartment and then to the vacuum reserve bottle located behind you front bumper. They often get cracked and the disco doesn't work.

If it is the shift fork (doubtful) its in the axle inside the disco housing. when you take it apart, you'll find it.

Check vacuum lines 1st.

Back