• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Module Connector

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to replace the harness of the fuel pump module connector and want to get an idea what I am getting into.
I discovered that the ribbed insulation that goes over the harness on the side that comes from the connector and goes into the body has peeled off a little and exposed the wires. They got hit by somethig and although their insulation does not look cut is damaged (looks pinched really hard...) and the copper strings inside are corroded. I cut the wires at those places and spliced them temporarily.
Whatever is causing the corrosion, does not come from the connector as it is dry and clean.
Now the questions:
How long is that section of the harness from the fuel pump module connector to the body? If it is too much work, I could just solder the splices and forget about it.
Now, if I buy a new fuel pump, would it come with a new fuel pump module connector?
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S. 99XJ...

Alienspecimen said:
I would like to replace the harness of the fuel pump module connector and want to get an idea what I am getting into.
I discovered that the ribbed insulation that goes over the harness on the side that comes from the connector and goes into the body has peeled off a little and exposed the wires. They got hit by somethig and although their insulation does not look cut is damaged (looks pinched really hard...) and the copper strings inside are corroded. I cut the wires at those places and spliced them temporarily.
Whatever is causing the corrosion, does not come from the connector as it is dry and clean.
Now the questions:
How long is that section of the harness from the fuel pump module connector to the body? If it is too much work, I could just solder the splices and forget about it.
Now, if I buy a new fuel pump, would it come with a new fuel pump module connector?
Thanks in advance
Boris
P.S. 99XJ...

I think the module connector is integrated with the sender unit and flange, and the pump connects inside of that, so you would not get a new connector with a new fuel pump.

In my experience there is often some corrosion of the copper deep inside automotive wiring even when there is no visible break. I think a little oxidation manages to creep through the plastic. It doesn't seem to do any harm, but it makes soldering a real pain. If you solder, you'll probably have to do a very thorough job of cleaning and scraping the strands to get a good bond, and even then it can be frustrating. But it should be possible to get a good connection if you're careful and use a good big hot iron. Then all you'll need to do is make sure it doesn't chafe or short again. I had problems long ago with an 87 whose harness drooped and kept being hit by the suspension on bumps.

Back